EIHL: Cardiff Devils hold off Fife Flyers fightback

Last Updated: 14/01/13 10:17am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Cardiff Devils overcame a resilient Fife Flyers 3-1 to maintain their fourth spot in the league.

The first period had the Devils all over their opponents but this didn't reflect in the score line with the only goal coming at the end of the period courtesy of Phil Hill.

The Cardiff outfit's lead was doubled at the start of the second period by Josh Batch. The Flyers were showing great resiliency, though, and they were rewarded for their efforts with a goal through John Dolan.

The Flyers continued to create chances during the period but the nerves of Cardiff were finally settled when Mac Faulkner scored the decisive goal three minutes before the end of the game.

Coventry Blaze ended their three-game losing streak with a crucial 3-2 win against the Hull Stingrays after a penalty shootout.

The Blaze took the lead through Dustin Cameron after a fine start - and their advantage was double minutes later through Greg Leeb.

Hull came out during the second period all guns blazing and quickly drew level with goals from Cale Tanaka and Jason Silverthorn.

The third period featured an immense display from Ben Brown between the Stingray posts turning away all 15 shots. Both teams failed to score in this period and overtime and it was left to Michael Schutte to score the only goal of the shootout.

Dundee Stars produced a fantastic display to beat the Edinburgh Capitals 4-3 away from home. The crucial goal was scored in the last minute by Sami Ryhanen and the result lifts the Stars up to sixth in the table.

The Capitals got to a better start taking the lead after 66 seconds through Marcis Zemberg, only for the Stars to bounce straight back with a goal from Tim Kraus.

The second period was also tied with the Stars taking the lead through AJ Mclean, with Zemberg claiming his second of the game to make it all square going into the last period.

The Capitals took the lead in the third period through Jade Portwood . However A J Mclean was on hand to score his second goal and laid the foundations for Ryhanen's match winning shot with only 33 seconds remaining.

A successful weekend for the Sheffield Steelers saw them dispatch Braehead Clan 7-2. The result moves the Steelers within a point of second placed Belfast.

Two goals from Jeff Legue in the opening period put the Steelers in complete control. But Braehead came back in the second period to level the scores with two goals in 20 seconds through captain Ash Goldie and Robert Farmer.

The Steelers had wrestled back control by the end of the period to lead 4-2 with strikes from Ashley Tait and Tylor Michel.

An early strike in the third period had all but secured the win for the Steelers. The rout was completed by Jason Hewitt and Michel claiming his second goal.

  • Share: