EHL: Penalty win for Clan

Stingrays lost both their games at the weekend in shoot-outs

Last Updated: 01/10/12 10:31am

  • Share:
Bobby Chaumont: The Clan man fired home forcing Stingrays into a timeout

Bobby Chaumont: The Clan man fired home forcing Stingrays into a timeout

Sky Bet

Braehead Clan picked up their first road win of the season, beating Hull Stingrays 5-4 after a penalty shoot-out.

The defeat meant that Stingrays lost both their games at the weekend in a shoot-out, however the point picked up in both will be some consolation.

The visitors looked more dangerous in the opening period as both teams failed to find a breakthrough.

The second session was not far different, however this time Clan made their play count.

Opening the scoring at 31.47 was Robert Farmer on a delayed penalty and a similar situation saw the same player add his second at 36.05. Clan's successful performance continued just 14 seconds later when Bobby Chaumont fired home, forcing Stingrays into a timeout which stabilised them to the break but 3-0 in arrears.

Despite this, the third period saw a significant transformation.

It was after only 49 seconds in when Jereme Tendler got the hosts on the board. This spurred on his side and at 42.41 Ryan Hand made it a one-goal game and Kurtis Dulle tied it all up at 45.44.

Stingrays still were not lying down and a shocked Clan went 4-3 behind when Janis Ozolins netted at 47.18, forcing the Scots side to call their own timeout.

The visitors re-focused from this and they went on to level the game at 53.20 when Jade Galbraith was on the spot to score.

The game then went to overtime where Clan missed out on a late powerplay opportunity but in the shoot-out the scoring shots by Ash Goldie and player/coach Jordan Krestanovich could not be countered by Stingrays, leaving Clan to claim the extra point.

Turning tables

The leading Sheffield Steelers did not capitalise on two home games at the weekend, falling victim to two defeats, as the visiting Coventry Blaze added to the loss against Nottingham on Saturday with a 4-3 win.

It seemed as though the home team had fully recovered from their Panthers loss, as goals by Tylor Michel at 5.52 and Ashley Tait at 9.55 saw them go two ahead and sitting comfortably by the time of the opening period break.

However, in the second period the tables turned as Blaze powered back to hit three straight and take the lead.

At 21.22, Greg Leeb opened their account, Gerome Giudice then tied it at 28.19 and on the powerplay it was defenceman Mike Schutte who fired Paul Thompson's men ahead at 34.23.

An astonished Steelers side managed to regroup and at 38.51 it was 3-3 thanks to a strike by Jeff Legue, scoring his 400th career EIHL point in all competitions.

It looked all to play for going into the third however an early effort by Schutte proved to be the match winner for Blaze, as he fired in at 41.17 on the powerplay.

There was no redemption after this for Steelers, and as frustrations mounted, they saw Cory Pecker ejected on a 5 + Game Misconduct for Butt-Ending at 56.43 and Drew Fata given a 10 + Game Misconduct for abuse of an official at the end of the game.


Belfast Giants passed a huge test as they travelled to resurgent Fife Flyers and left with two points in this League and Challenge Cup double-up game, winning 3-1.

It was tense encounter throughout though, with only a goal in the 59th minute from Daymen Rycroft giving Doug Christiansen's charges some insurance.

Will Colbert shot Giants into the lead after only 113 seconds, getting them off to an ideal start, but it was rather even after that with both sides' reliable defences on top.

Andrew Fournier was next to score and his strike at 29.41 saw Giants build a 2-0 lead as the visitors' confidence grew.

The score stayed that way until Fife pulled one back at 51.10 on the powerplay with Derek Keller on the mark -Fife's 100th goal at home in all EIHL competitive games.

From then on, both sides had their chances yet it was Rycroft who scored the crucial third goal for Giants to end the match at 58.44, ending Flyers dreams of recovery.

Cup struggle

Edinburgh Capitals look as if they may struggle to make the quarter finals of the Challenge Cup after falling 5-3 at home to Dundee Stars after giving up a 3-2 lead early in the third period.

It was a fine recovery for Stars and they were led superbly by Mike Wirll and Sami Ryhanen, both being involved in every goal with 3+2 and 2+3 respectively.

Stars took the lead in the opening period, scoring the only goal of the session when Wirll grabbed his first at 14.58 yet Capitals had their share of chances and the game was very much in the mix.

Ryhanen shot Stars two ahead at 28.47 in the second period, only for Capitals to hit back through a couple of quick efforts by Rene Jarolin on the powerplay at 33.28 and Neil Hay at 36.11 to see equality after forty minutes.

When Jarolin scored his second at 42.34, Capitals looked as if they were on their way to completing a great comeback however Stars upped the pace and finished the game in some style to skate away with the points.

At 46.10, Ryhanen tied the game at three when finding the net and the game winner came from Wirll at 47.40. The same player ended the scoring and gave his side some insurance into the empty net with 47 seconds remaining to complete a fine hat trick.

  • Share:


Most Popular


Hen party

Hen party

Alex Ferguson expects the skills of goaltender Henrik Lundqvist to win New York Rangers the Stanley Cup.

Good Week/Bad Week

Good Week/Bad Week

We pick out this week's winners and losers after an action-packed seven days of sport.

The talk of Sky Sports

The talk of Sky Sports

See what has got the Sky Sports experts' tongues wagging over a busy seven days in sport.