Reckless Abandon has hopes high for Abbaye
Last Updated: October 6, 2013 1:11pm
Reckless Abandon: Abbaye hopeful
Clive Cox's Reckless Abandon bids to make up for lost time with victory in Sunday's Prix de l'Abbaye at Longchamp.
The three-year-old has suffered a couple of minor niggles this term which have kept him off the track since finishing a fine fifth to Sole Power in the King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot in June.
A dual Group One winner as a juvenile, Clive Cox's charge has been limited to just two starts this term with a swollen gland forcing him to sidestep the July Cup and a hamstring problem ruling him out on the eve of the Haydock Sprint Cup.
Cox said: "I would have preferred a lower draw (than stall 16), but you can't change it.
"He's in very good form after a few minor hold-ups through the summer.
"I'm happy enough with the ground there, it's not really a concern. He's shown winning form with a bit of cut and I don't think it will inconvenience him as much as some of the others.
"He's in good nick, he just had a problem with a hamstring which meant he couldn't run in the Haydock Sprint Cup but I've been pleased with how he has been in the last couple of weeks.
"The travelling should be fine for him, he's won twice in France before, including the Prix Morny, and I'm very pleased with him."
Reckless Abandon will again clash with Sole Power on Sunday, with Edward Lynam's runner also drawing a double-figure stall in 13.
Despite his preference for a sound surface, the six-year-old ran an excellent race to finish fifth in the Abbaye last year.
Lynam said: "He's in great form and I'm sure he'll give 110% as he always does.
"Unfortunately he's drawn out near Marseille somewhere and obviously we'd have preferred better ground, but you can't have it all.
"He's run well in the race before and hopefully he will again, but the main race we wanted to win this year was the King's Stand and he did that.
"He's going for the bonus ball now."