Dean Stoneman mastered damp conditions at Barcelona to take his maiden GP3 win
Alex Lynn fails to score, but still leads the Championship
By William Esler. Last Updated: 11/05/14 1:13pm
What a difference a bit of rain makes. After Saturday's procession GP3 served up a much more exciting race on Sunday morning as Dean Stoneman recorded his maiden victory in the series.
Indeed such have been the overtaking problems since the GP3/13 car was introduced, Stoneman's pass on Matheo Tuscher lap two was the first lead change (excluding the first lap) during a race since 2012!
In damp conditions the entire field opted to start on slick tyres which made for an interesting opening sequence of corners as the drivers looked for whatever grip they could find. Emil Bernstorff was one of the big winners as he stormed around several drivers on the outside of turn two, giving him the inside line for turn three - even if he did run nudge a Hilmer car on the way through - has he charged from 24th on the grid to eighth at the flag.
Fellow Briton Alex Lynn was not so fortunate dropping from eighth at the start to 14th and a gamble to pit during an early safety car backfired as the sun finally broke through in the closing stages.
Being the opening weekend of the season, there were still signs of inexperience from some drives - gamer turned racer Jann Mardenborough spun at the final chicane as the cars took to the restart, whilst a clumsy move from Alfonso Celis Jr eliminated both he and Pal Varhaug soon after.
At the front Stoneman, Tushcer, Dino Zamparelli, Richie Stanaway and Marvin Kirchhofer all traded fastest sector times as the track dried - Stanaway getting past the German in the closing stages and applying late pressure to Zamparelli - but Stoneman always looked in control as he took victory for Marussia Manor Racing.
The drivers now face a long wait with the next GP3 races taking place in Austria on June 21 and 22.
GP3 Spain - Race Two
1) Dean Stoneman (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - 30:14.777
2) Matheo Tuscher (SUI) - Jenzer Motorsport - +0.925
3) Dino Zamparelli (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +1.802
4) Richie Stanaway (NZL) - Status Grand Prix - +3.275
5) Marvin Krichhofer - ART Grand Prix - +3.740
6) Jimmy Erikssson (SWE) - Koiranen GP - +6.294
7) Nick Yelloly (GBR) - Status Grand Prix - +6.668
8) Eric Bernstorff (GBR) - Carlin - +7.303
9) Patric Niederhauser (SUI) - Arden International - +10.665
10) Luis Sa Silva (MAC) - Carlin - +15.987
14) Jann Mardenborough (GBR) - Arden International - +45.167
16) Ryan Cullen (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +53.140
18) Alex Lynn (GBR) - Carlin - 1:26.118
1) Alex Lynn - 31
2) Richie Stanaway - 23
3) Jimmy Eriksson - 22
4) Dean Stoneman - 21
5) Dino Zamparelli - 18