Bernie: Bahrain will happen
F1 supremo certain that race will not be cancelled this year
Last Updated: 23/02/12 12:17pm
Bernie Ecclestone: Cetain that Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead without incident
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he is "absolutely 100 per cent sure" that this year's Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead.
The race in the Gulf state was cancelled last year due to civil unrest in the country but has been scheduled to return on April 22 this season.
Doubts have been raised over the viability of that date due to ongoing protests in the country, but Ecclestone is adamant that there will be no security risk.
"Nobody is saying we're not going or we don't want to go or anything. Everybody is quite positive," Ecclestone said.
"I've told all the teams it's no problem at all, I'm absolutely 100 per cent sure we'll go there and there will be no problem."
Race organisers have pressed ahead with preparations for the event, putting tickets on sale and launching a new slogan for the event of 'UniF1ed - One Nation in Celebration'.
Prominent human rights lawyer Cherif Bassiouni has also given his backing to the race, while the teams have previously stated they would go along with the decision made by Ecclestone and the FIA.
Ecclestone says there were no plans for increased security around the event, but is confident that the local authorities will be taking all the required provisions.
He added: "I am sure that the people there will make sure just in case there's a problem. I am sure there will not be a problem."