Jenson Button enters the silly season as he waits for McLaren confirmation

Former World Champion unable to confirm he will be staying on

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 23/08/13 1:54pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Jenson Button has emerged as an unlikely player in the aptly-named silly season after it emerged that McLaren have yet to exercise their option on the 2009 World Champion's contract for next season.

Although Kimi Raikkonen, out of contract at Lotus and supposedly out of the running to join Red Bull, has been rumoured to be in talks with McLaren, it seems highly unlikely that anyone other than Button and Sergio Perez will be driving for the team in 2014. The fact of the matter, however, is that Button is still awaiting confirmation from his team boss Martin Whitmarsh that his services will be required next year.

Asked to clarify his status for 2014 by Sky Sports News, Button replied: "You have to ask Martin that question, he's the man in the know. All I know is that I feel a big part of the McLaren family and it would be wrong to say I want to jump ship at the moment.

"There are a lot of good drivers out there in teams that have won races and Championships, and I hope that the people who get the opportunity to drive for those teams really deserve the opportunity. For me, I'm happy where I am, but, as I say, you have to talk to Martin."

While a repeat of his victory at Spa twelve months ago is utterly improbable, Button is hopeful of an improved display from the underperforming MP4-28 this weekend at Spa. Yet when he faced the media on Thursday, it was the notion that Button may yet find himself moving on that caught the press pack's attention with vacancies at Red Bull, Ferrari and Lotus still in the offing.

"I think Red Bull is done anyway," Button told The Guardian. "But I think Ferrari is a massive opportunity for a driver. But is it the right option? I think here is my right option."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

McLaren 'more or less' decided

Eric Boullier says McLaren won't be revealing their 2015 driver line-up in Japan, but that it is “more or less” decided.

Alonso angered by rumours

An angry and frustrated Fernando Alonso has questioned the motivation of reports in Italy claiming that he is considering a blockbuster switch to Red Bull.

Sergio Perez: Very close to new Force India deal

Perez 'very close' to new deal

Sergio Perez says he is “very close to committing” to Force India for 2015, but admits anything could happen.

Poll

Most Popular

Features

Button forced to wait

Button forced to wait

Eric Boullier says McLaren are in no rush to confirm their 2015 drivers despite Alonso staying at Ferrari.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?

The best pics of 2014

The best pics of 2014

A selection of the best images from the year so far as Formula 1 appears in its full pictorial glory.