Matt Morris to join McLaren as Engineering Director once his contract is resolved

Englishman resigned as Sauber Chief Designer on Thursday

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 28/06/13 2:57pm

  • Share:

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh confirms that chief designer Matt Morris is joining McLaren from the Sauber Team.

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed to Sky Sports F1 that former Sauber Chief Designer Matt Morris is to join McLaren as Engineering Director once he has been released from his contract.

The Woking-based team have been looking to add to their design department since losing Paddy Lowe to Mercedes earlier in the season and their new recruit will work under Technical Director Tim Goss.

The news that Morris, who worked for Williams before joining the Swiss outfit, is leaving his current position broke on Thursday evening.

Speaking to Martin Brundle after Practice One at Silverstone, McLaren's Team Principal said the 39-year-old would be take a key role in the team's design department.

"He is coming to McLaren. Matt is coming to head our engineering drawing office. It is probably something for Sauber to announce but I am not going to deny it."

McLaren Sporting Director Sam Michael, who worked with Morris when the latter was head of transmissions at Williams, said his arrival was "good news, especially with the amount of work we have now with all the regulation changes for next year, but also the Honda project.

"He'll definitely add to our engineering strength. I'm looking forward to him joining."

McLaren will switch from Mercedes to Honda power in time for the 2015 season but Michael said that Morris would most likely work on next year's car as well.

"That's something that will definitely be part of his remit but 2014 will probably be part of his remit as well," he added.

  • Share:

Post Comment

*All fields required, your email address will be kept private


Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Sainz confirmed at Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso have confirmed that Carlos Sainz will partner Max Verstappen in an all-rookie line-up at the team in 2015.

Vergne to leave Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Vergne has confirmed he is leaving Toro Rosso and is expected to be replaced by Carlos Sainz for 2015.

Force India confirm Perez

Force India have officially confirmed Sergio Perez will remain at the team for 2015 and beyond after signing a new multi-year deal.

Most Popular

Features

McLaren-Honda pics

McLaren-Honda pics

The pictures from McLaren's first public day of testing with returning Honda's brand new F1 power unit.

Exclusive Dennis Q&A

Exclusive Dennis Q&A

Martin Brundle presses his former boss Ron Dennis for information on McLaren’s 2015 line-up.

McLaren delay choice

McLaren delay choice

Team won't reveal 2015 drivers until December - but is the delay good or bad news for Jenson Button?