No Spa double-DRS for McLaren

However, Martin Whitmarsh doesn't rule out future introduction

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 30/08/12 1:59pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed McLaren will not introduce a 'Double DRS' device at this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.

Sporting Director Sam Michael revealed earlier this month that the Woking-based team were working on a device, believed to be a variation of those used by Lotus and Mercedes.

McLaren, though, are yet to complete their version, having not dedicated the same development time to it as Lotus during the season, or indeed Mercedes, whose 2012 car is designed around such a system.

"It [the double DRS] hasn't received the maximum amount of resource because we have got a finite amount of resource, and we try and spend it where we get the biggest bang for the buck, and our judgement so far is that we have been able to find other projects that deserve that resource and we can get a greater performance return from," he told the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in.

"There is no denying that the double DRS is interesting and I think there are other variants on it that have started to be seen on teams' cars, but they might not all follow a pattern that we saw on the Mercedes.

"We are not announcing when, where and if we are going to be introducing it. I think we will see different wing variants, certainly on our car along with a number of visual items as they go through scrutineering later today and hit the track on Friday.

"We will see new bits, but McLaren will not have a double DRS in Belgium."

Whitmarsh also confirmed both Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button would be given equal opportunity to win the race at Spa.

Hamilton is fourth in the standings, 44 points behind Fernando Alonso, whilst Button is seventh, 88 points off the pace.

Given Button's deficit some have suggested it was time for the 2009 World Champion to play a supporting role and although Whitmarsh says they might use team orders, he has stressed that it is still too early.

"It will be quite a few races before we make that decision," the McLaren team boss added.

"There may well come a point (when we use team orders), but there are still many races left and many points on offer - things can change quickly.

"With the performance we were showing going into the break, we should be focused on winning more races and contesting for the Championship. It's wide open and we're in contention.

"McLaren prides itself on going into each Championship giving both drivers equal opportunity to win races and fight for the Championship.

"We therefore have to be measured in terms of when we talk to those drivers about putting their support behind the other.

"The good news for fans and for both drivers is that I can assure you both drivers will be going into the Belgian Grand Prix trying to win the race and as a team, we will do our best to allow them to do so."

  • Share:

Related

Belgium GP 2012

Sauber: Suffered a double disaster at the first corner at Spa

Sauber 'will get other chances'

Monisha Kaltenborn is convinced Sauber will have further chances to claim strong race results over the remainder of the season to make up for Spa.

Lewis Hamilton: Point-less at Spa

Whitmarsh: Lewis will bounce back

Martin Whitmarsh has tipped Lewis Hamilton to come back "super strong" at Monza after the Briton endured a weekend to forget in Belgium.

Sebastian Vettel: Came close to contact with his friend Schumacher

Vettel 'enjoyed' Schumi tussle

Sebastian Vettel doesn't think his compatriot Michael Schumacher did anything wrong in their battle at the Bus Stop, even though they came close to crashing.

Most Popular

Features

McLaren-Honda pics

McLaren-Honda pics

The pictures from McLaren's first public day of testing with returning Honda's brand new F1 power unit.

Exclusive Dennis Q&A

Exclusive Dennis Q&A

Martin Brundle presses his former boss Ron Dennis for information on McLaren’s 2015 line-up.

McLaren delay choice

McLaren delay choice

Team won't reveal 2015 drivers until December - but is the delay good or bad news for Jenson Button?