Monisha Kaltenborn has ruled out Rubens Barrichello driving for Sauber next season
Brazilian tweets "if there is an opportunity, I'm in."
By William Esler. Last Updated: 05/10/13 11:44am
Rubens Barrichello: Won't be joining Sauber
Sauber Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn has emphatically ruled out the prospect of Rubens Barrichello driving for the Swiss team next season.
Earlier this week Kaltenborn had refused to rule out the Brazilian and stating "We know that he'd like to come back. So let's see."
The rumours gathered pace on Saturday morning when Barrichello tweeted: "Lot's of things have being said this week about a possible F1 return. The truth is: "if there is an opportunity, I 'm in."
Lot's of things have being said this week about a possible F1 return. The truth is:
" if there is an opportunity, I 'm in,"- Rubens Barrichello (@rubarrichello) October 5, 2013
However, the Sauber Team Principal says the only reason she didn't officially rule the 41-year-old out earlier was to be nice.
"I am ruling out he will drive for us. Maybe it is better one is that clear about it," she said. "I just felt it would be a bit rude to do that. I was trying to be nice on it.
"I have a lot of respect for Rubens, and I don't think it is right I abruptly say 'no, we are not going to talk'. I have to be respectful to such a driver.
"I fully understand he wants to drive and he is trying his best. I talk a lot with him when he is here, we discuss young drivers and so on, but we have never discussed a seat. That's reality.
"It's a bit unfair towards him because it doesn't look good for him. So, just to be very clear on it, we have not discussed a seat for next year and also no drive for Brazil."