Kamui Kobayashi admits defeat in bid to find car for 2013

Japanese concentrating on finding F1 seat for 2014

Last Updated: 20/12/12 8:52am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Kamui Kobayashi has given up trying to find a Formula 1 team for 2013.

Kobayashi has been dropped by Sauber and the Japanese star launched a fundraising campaign in his homeland to help him find a new team.

The 26-year-old said he would have been able to raise around £6.5m thanks to Japanese companies and fans committing funds.

But he said: "Unfortunately, the time was still short and I am not able to secure the seat with competitive F1 team for 2013.

"I have to admit that it is very sad and feel sorry for fans and Japanese companies who supported me. But I am still confident to make it happen in 2014.

"I would like to stop the donations for now and while I will save all the money for 2014, I start to look what is the best option for 2013 and also 2014. My main priority is to secure the competitive F1 seat in 2014."

Speaking at the Brazilian Grand Prix last month, Kobayashi admitted that he had no interest in looking outside F1 for a drive.

The former Toyota test driver also said he would rather not take up a reserve driver role.

In a statement released on his website on Monday, Kobayashi reiterated: "I have no interests to race any other categories."

  • Share:

Related

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Three-car teams in '15?

Three-car teams in '15?

Bernie Ecclestone confirms three-car teams proposal would be adopted if only eight outfits on the grid.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?

'Two days, no food'

'Two days, no food'

Sauber driver Adrian Sutil reveals the extreme lengths he went to in order to lose weight this year.