Williams

Williams Martini Racing

  • Standing 3rd
  • Points 187

Williams Links

Valtteri Bottas believes he is ready for a race seat at Williams for 2013

Last Updated: 06/12/12 2:55pm

  • Share:
Valtteri Bottas: Feels ready for a promotion

Valtteri Bottas: Feels ready for a promotion

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Williams third driver Valtteri Bottas hopes he has done enough to convince Williams to promote him to a race seat for 2013 after declaring himself ready for Formula 1.

The 23-year-old Finn is believed to be in the frame for one of the two race seats at the Grove-based team for next season after impressing in the role of test and Friday driver this year.

Bottas, who has taken over Bruno Senna's car in 11 of the 15 first practice sessions so far in 2012, admits it is his goal to make the full step up to the top level in the New Year but that at the moment it remains a waiting game.

Asked by Sky Sports News' Rachel Brookes what his hopes for next season are, the Finn replied: "I hope it's definitely to get the race seat.

"I think I've shown my speed and I really, really hope I can get it. Who wouldn't like to race? Williams would of course be [the] ideal place to stay but it's up to the team to decide and we don't know yet when that's going to happen.

"We will just have to wait and see and I need to try and do my best."

The current restrictions placed on F1 testing mean rising stars such as Bottas have few opportunities to complete sustained mileage before making their race debuts in the World Championship.

He admits this is a handicap for the current generation of emerging stars but nonetheless is confident the experience he has gained already puts him in good stead for when the call comes.

"I feel I'm ready to get my first race. It's definitely nowadays for a young driver really, really difficult because there's not much driving like the old days [when] you could test a lot," Bottas said.

"Now it's really limited and you really need to make most out of it every time you are in the car.

"So it's not easy but I would go for the race if I could get a chance."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso angered by rumours

An angry and frustrated Fernando Alonso has questioned the motivation of reports in Italy claiming that he is considering a blockbuster switch to Red Bull.

Sergio Perez: Very close to new Force India deal

Perez 'very close' to new deal

Sergio Perez says he is “very close to committing” to Force India for 2015, but admits anything could happen.

Wehrlein named Merc reserve

Mercedes have named 19-year-old DTM race winner Pascal Wehrlein as their reserve driver from this week's Singapore GP.

Most Popular

Features

Three-car teams in '15?

Three-car teams in '15?

Bernie Ecclestone confirms three-car teams proposal would be adopted if only eight outfits on the grid.

Williams keep drivers

Williams keep drivers

Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa have been retained by Williams heading into the 2015 season.

Smedley exclusive

Smedley exclusive

The Williams Head of Performance on the team's 2014 revival and how they make the next step up.