Ferrari confirm they will launch their 2013 car on February 1st at Maranello

Team also announce recruitment of Pedro de la Rosa

Last Updated: 17/01/13 8:58am

  • Share:
Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa: Return for another season in 2013

Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa: Return for another season in 2013

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Ferrari have confirmed that they will unveil their 2013 challenger on Friday February 1st at their Maranello headquarters.

The Italian outfit are the fifth team to announce their launch date, following the lead of Force India, who will also unveil their new car on February 1st, as well as McLaren, Red Bull and Sauber.

The F2013's unveiling will take place the week before the first test of the winter at Jerez, at which the new car can be expected to debut.

F1 on Sky Sports in 2013

Sky Sports F1 is the only place to watch every grand prix live in 2013.

Our dedicated F1 channel will broadcast every race, qualifying and practice session live, along with highlights shows, analysis and even more coverage via the Red Button.

Find out more at Sky.com

Team Principal Stefano Domenicali is hopeful the Scuderia can hit the ground running with their latest challenger, having struggled with its predecessor 12 months ago.

Development of Ferrari's F2012 was hindered by correlation problems between the team's wind tunnel in Maranello and its performance on track. As a result, they have shut down their own facility and developed this year's car using Toyota's wind tunnel in Germany.

"Our aim is clear, to win and the priority is still that of giving our drivers a car that will be competitive right from the very start," Domenicali said on Wednesday at the Wrooom media event, held by Ferrari and Ducati in the Italian Dolomites.

"The development of the 2013 car began in the Cologne wind tunnel and is on-going. I certainly expect to see greater efficiency than last year because we will no longer need to carry out comparisons of data and correlation with the Maranello wind tunnel, which is currently being rebuilt and is due to be operational again after the summer break."

Although 2013 brings little in the way of new rules, Domenicali also acknowledged that Ferrari must keep one eye on the season to follow, when major changes governing engines will be introduced.

"The 2013 season will be a complex one from many points of view," said Domenicali. "We face a few changes on the technical front which will have a significant impact on all areas of the company, not just in terms of design, but also when it comes to the investment and infrastructure required to develop the new engine.

"Within the limits imposed by the regulations, we need to put every effort into reaching our objectives, while making the best use of the timescale in preparing for 2014."

Meanwhile, in a separate announcement, Ferrari have also announced that Pedro de la Rosa, who drove for the now-defunct HRT team in 2012, is to join the team in a development role.

Prior to joining the Spanish backmarker at the start of last season, the veteran spent the best part of a decade in a test and development role at McLaren to high acclaim.

"We decided to add De La Rosa to our group of drivers mainly to strengthen one area, namely work in the simulator, which with the current regulations regarding testing, is becoming ever more important," Domenicali said.

"Pedro therefore joins a group of drivers that already includes Davide Rigon, Marc Gene, Andrea Bertolini and Jules Bianchi."

De la Rosa added: "It is amazingly motivating to be working for a team like Ferrari, not just because of what it represents in the history of Formula 1 and motoring in general, but also because it will be a completely new and very stimulating experience for me.

"I really hope I can get to work as soon as possible and to help in the development of the car. I am happy to be collaborating with Fernando again and also to be working with Felipe. There's not much time until Australia, but there is a lot to do and I am available to help the team from right now."

Confirmed 2013 car launches
McLaren - January 31st, venue to be confirmed.
Force India - February 1st, Silverstone.
Ferrari - February 1st, Maranello.
Sauber - February 2nd, Hinwil.
Red Bull, February 3rd, Milton Keynes.

  • Share:

Related

2013 Calendar and Dates

The German GP: Finally officially confirmed on the 2013 bcalendar

Nurburgring to host German GP

The Nurburgring has finally been confirmed as the host venue for this year's German GP after striking a new deal.

Bernie Ecclestone: Says German GP is 'on-off, on-off'

Bernie: Germany still in doubt

Bernie Ecclestone has blamed fighting between two of Germany's motorsport associations for uncertainty over the 2013 GP.

Lotus: Will show off their 2013 car this coming Monday

Lotus to launch 2013 car first

Lotus will become the first F1 team to unveil their 2013 car in a launch event live on Sky Sports News on Monday.

Most Popular

Features

Under the skin

Under the skin

Ted Kravitz explains the unique placing of the oil tank on the 2014 Ferrari - and the problems it's causing.

Kimi's future in doubt

Kimi's future in doubt

Finn refuses to identify date when he expects to leave Ferrari as Jules Bianchi waits in the wings.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?