Luca di Montezemolo to make a final decision on Felipe Massa's Ferrari future after talks at Maranello on Tuesday

Brazilian expected to be awarded 2013 contract after improving results

Last Updated: 15/10/12 2:12pm

  • Share:
Felipe Massa: Set for another year in red

Felipe Massa: Set for another year in red

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Luca di Montezemolo has revealed he will sit down with Felipe Massa at Ferrari's headquarters on Tuesday to discuss the Brazilian's future before making a final decision on a contract for 2013.

Massa's return to his something close to his best form in recent months is thought to have earned the Brazilian what at one stage this season would have appeared an unlikely reprieve at Ferrari.

Indeed the driver himself dropped a big hint to the press in wake of his strong drive to fourth in Korea on Sunday by saying that he now doesn't have any doubts over his future.

The widespread belief in the paddock is that the 31-year-old has now done enough to stay on at the team for an eighth straight season, but Ferrari's president says he still needs to sit down with the Brazilian before making the final call.

"I'm happy to see Felipe Massa back at a high level: tomorrow I will meet him at Maranello, we will have a chance to talk about his future and then I will take a decision," Montezemolo told Italian radio on Monday.

Massa's stronger run of results, which has now seem him finish in the points at six consecutive races, coupled with title challenger Fernando Alonso's ever-consistent form, has allowed Ferrari to leapfrog McLaren into second place in the Constructors' Championship.

Di Montezemolo is pleased to see the return of the 'old Massa' and wants the Brazilian to continue scoring strongly over the remainder of the season so to best support Alonso's title bid.

"You can see from the Constructors' Championship that he has returned to the levels that we used to know well. I expect a lot from him and his capacity to take points from our rivals," he added.

As for the battle for their first Drivers' title since 2007, Montezemolo insists that although Ferrari "will fight to the end" it was vital they improved the F2012's single-lap pace so to be in position to challenge Red Bull for race victories directly off the grid.

"We are a few tenths off the pace of the best, above all in qualifying," said Montezemolo.

"We must try to have a front-row car because otherwise, starting further back, it makes life much harder and you are at greater risk of getting caught up in accidents.

"To have a quicker car we must work day and night in a methodical and determined fashion."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Sam Michael to leave McLaren

McLaren Sporting Director Sam Michael will leave the team at the end of the season after resigning earlier in the year.

Perez confident of 2015 seat

Sergio Perez confident of announcing 2015 plans soon as he looks to remain with Force India for a second season.

Force India retain Hulkenberg

Force India have confirmed Nico Hulkenberg will remain with the team in 2015 after a successful return this year.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Alonso's plans 'set'

Alonso's plans 'set'

Fernando Alonso refuses to reveal where he will drive in 2015 but drops heavy hint he'll continue in F1.

Back in the hunt?

Back in the hunt?

Mark Hughes on why Ferrari and McLaren failed in 2014 - but why both teams might be at the front in 2015.

Joining the dots

Joining the dots

Making sense of Sebastian Vettel’s bombshell - and why Fernando Alonso is now in no man’s land.