Lotus 'doing all they can' to keep Kimi Raikkonen as 2014 rumour mill warms up

Di Resta continues to be linked with seat at Ferrari next season

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 25/07/13 1:01pm

  • Share:
Raikkonen remains the key piece in the 2014 driver market

Raikkonen remains the key piece in the 2014 driver market

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Eric Boullier says Lotus are "doing everything we can" to persuade Kimi Raikkonen to stay with the team for 2014.

The Finn's contract with the Enstone outfit expires at the end of the year and the former World Champion has been installed as the odds-on favourite to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull next season following the Australian's announcement he will quit the sport in November.

"Lotus is a desirable place to be. We know there's been a lot of talk about Kimi's future, and we all know Kimi is an individual and he will make his decision in his own time," said team boss Boullier. "Naturally, we want him to continue in the sport and continue with Lotus, so we're doing everything we can do to make that happen."

The prospect of Raikkonen replacing Webber - previously regarded in some quarters as a 'done deal' - has diminished in recent days following what appeared to be a successful audition by Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo when he debuted in the RB9 at last week's Young Driver Test.

Raikkonen, who continues to insist that he is no rush to make a decision on his future, remains the key piece in a 2014 driver market that is currently in lockdown until the identity of Webber's successor is revealed.

It is believed, however, that Red Bull development driver Antonio Felix da Costa will drive for Toro Rosso in 2014, either as a replacement for Ricciardo or his team-mate Jean-Eric Vergne, while reports persist that Felipe Massa, also out of contract at the end of the season, could be dropped by Ferrari following a series of disappointing results this term.

Former Force India team-mates Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg have both been strongly linked with the potential vacancy alongside Fernando Alonso, with the Scot making no secret of his ambition to move up F1's pecking order.

"Ferrari is an ultimate seat that I want to see myself in Formula 1 because of the Italian side of my family. What Ferrari is to Formula 1 is a very special red car when it sits on the grid," Di Resta told Sky Sports News on Wednesday.

"But I need to wait and see if the opportunities arise. At the moment it's about putting yourself in the framework for those drives."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso: I'm staying at Ferrari

McLaren target Fernando Alonso has ruled out leaving Ferrari in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News HQ.

Ron Dennis with McLaren's drivers Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen

'Stars have to be available'

Ron Dennis admits McLaren are "keeping an eye" on drivers outside the team as Alonso and Vettel speculation continues.

McLaren team-mates Kevin Magnussen and Jenson Button: Still in the dark over 2015

McLaren: Drivers have to wait

Eric Boullier has stressed that McLaren’s ongoing long-term planning over their driver line-up has to take priority.

Poll

Most Popular

Features

Maldonado exclusive

Maldonado exclusive

One of F1's most controversial drivers talks to Sky F1 about his move to Lotus and his reputation.

Maldonado retained

Maldonado retained

Lotus confirm that Pastor will stay on for 2015 despite wretched first season with the Enstone outfit.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?