Mercedes

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1

  • Standing 1st
  • Points 411

Mercedes Links

Mercedes have confirmed that Technical Director Bob Bell is to leave the team

Joint team boss Paddy Lowe will take on Ulsterman's responsibilities

By Mike Wise.   Last Updated: 14/04/14 5:33pm

  • Share:
Bob Bell: Will depart Mercedes in November

Bob Bell: Will depart Mercedes in November

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Mercedes confirmed on Monday that Technical Director Bob Bell is to leave the team with joint boss Paddy Lowe taking over his role.

In a statement, Mercedes said that the 56-year-old Ulsterman resigned his position last December but will depart at end of the current season, 'with the intention of pursuing new challenges outside the company'.

The statement added that Bell's responsibilities will be picked up by Lowe as Mercedes 'streamline its technical organisation'.

Although Lowe's arrival at Brackley last year as Executive Director (Technical) alongside commercial boss Toto Wolff further strengthened the team's engineering strength, there had been suggestions that a roster of know-how already featuring Bell, Aldo Costa (Engineering Director), Geoff Willis (Technology Director) as well as Team Principal Ross Brawn was too top-heavy.

However, the team's current dominance of F1's new hybrid era offers a vindication of their approach, with Bell now joining Brawn - who departed at the end of last season - in stepping down.

He joined Mercedes in 2011 having previously worked for McLaren, Benetton, Jordan and Renault.

Bell served as Technical Director at the latter outfit and even had a brief stint as Team Principal in 2009, when the previous year's Singapore GP deliberate crash controversy forced Flavio Briatore's resignation.

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Martin Whitmarsh: Finally leaves McLaren

Whitmarsh leaves McLaren

McLaren confirmed on Tuesday that former Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh has finally left the company.

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen: Staying at Ferrari

Ferrari to keep Alonso & Kimi

Ferrari boss Marco Mattiacci has confirmed to Sky Sports F1 that Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso will be retained for 2015.

Alonso: 'Judge Max on pace'

Fernando Alonso says Max Verstappen's readiness for F1 should be judged on his performances in 2015 rather than his age.

Most Popular

Features

Rosberg boils over

Rosberg boils over

Martin Brundle on the simmering anger that had built up inside Nico and where Merc go now.

Proving a point

Proving a point

Mark Hughes on how events earlier this season shaped Nico Rosberg's attitude in Belgium.

Nico Rosberg Q&A

Nico Rosberg Q&A

The full transcript of the German's grilling by the press following a controversial Belgian GP.