Former Max Mosley aide could stand against Jean Todt in FIA elections

While Bernie Ecclestone believes he could be succeeded by a woman

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 25/07/13 10:11am

  • Share:
Todt will stand for a second term in elections at the end of the year

Todt will stand for a second term in elections at the end of the year

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

David Ward, a former key aide to ex-FIA President Max Mosley, has confirmed he is considering standing against current incumbent Jean Todt in elections at the end of the year.

The Times newspaper reported earlier this week that Ward, the current Director-General of the FIA Foundation, was being pushed to run against Todt by opponents of the Frenchman.

'Talk of pushing Ward's candidacy dominated the back rooms of FIA conference held at Goodwood House in the week before the British Grand Prix last month,' the newspaper disclosed.

With speculation subsequently mounting that he could launch a challenge against Todt, Ward, described as 'Mosley's former right-hand man', has now acknowledged he is contemplating throwing his hat into the ring.

"This is not what I intended nor what I wanted, but I am certainly thinking about [standing] because it is important to have a debate," Ward has been quoted as saying in The Guardian.

Meanwhile, with a power struggle already poised to be declared at the FIA, Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he believes he could be succeed by a woman as chief executive of F1 as the sport enters what appears to be a time of unprecedented uncertainty about its future direction.

"Why not a woman?" Ecclestone replied when asked by Bild who he thought might replace him. "I believe that women generally don't have such big egos and they don't need to go and play golf to close deals. They simply work harder to get the same recognition as men and, because their ego is less important, they are also less emotional in making decisions."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Vergne to leave Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Vergne has confirmed he is leaving Toro Rosso and is expected to be replaced by Carlos Sainz for 2015.

Force India confirm Perez

Force India have officially confirmed Sergio Perez will remain at the team for 2015 and beyond after signing a new multi-year deal.

Exclusive Ron Dennis Q&A

Martin Brundle presses his former boss Ron Dennis for information on McLaren’s 2015 line-up.

Most Popular

Features

AskCrofty asks you!

AskCrofty asks you!

Here's your chance to be in the audience for our end-of-season #AskCrofty show on Friday December 5th.

What was said...

What was said...

Remember when Hamilton's Mercedes move seemed a bad idea? Here's what was said at the time.

The best man won

The best man won

Martin Brundle pays tribute to the new World Champion and looks back on a year of highs and deep lows in F1.