Sebastian Vettel commits future to Red Bull with extended deal to 2015

One-year extension to existing contract ends talk of Ferrari move

By James Galloway.   Last Updated: 12/06/13 10:12am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

World Champion Sebastian Vettel has agreed a contract extension with Red Bull to the end of 2015.

The three-times title winner's existing multi-year deal had been due to expire at the end of next year but Red Bull announced on Tuesday evening that they had extended that by an additional 12-month period.

The announcement firmly puts to bed speculation that had swirled for some time suggesting that Vettel could have been poised to move to rivals Ferrari, or even Mercedes, inside the next two seasons and means the 25-year-old's already hugely successful career at Red Bull's senior team continues for at least two more years.

"Infiniti Red Bull Racing is happy to confirm that World Champion Sebastian Vettel has extended his multi-year contract with the team until the end of 2015," a brief statement issued by the World Champions read.

"A previous member of the Red Bull Junior squad, Sebastian first drove for Red Bull Racing in 2009. During his Formula One career, the 25-year-old has achieved 29 wins, 51 podiums and 39 pole positions."

The news comes just two days on from the reigning World Champion producing the most dominant victory of the season so far at the Canadian GP which has kept him well on course for a fourth straight Drivers' title.

After rising to prominence, and claiming his maiden pole and win, in F1 at Red Bull's junior Toro Rosso team in 2007-2008, Vettel was promoted to the senior outfit from 2009 and the driver/team combination have monopolised World Championship honours over the past three years.

Vettel has only had one team-mate, Mark Webber, since joining Red Bull but the veteran Australian is thought unlikely to continue his own stay at Milton Keynes beyond the end of the current campaign in wake of the fractious fallout from the Malaysian GP team orders controversy.

Lotus's former World Champion Kimi Raikkonen has been strongly linked to the 2014 seat alongside Vettel, with young Toro Rosso pair Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo also names in the frame, although Team Principal Christian Horner has continued to stress that no decision will be made until late summer.

  • Share:

Post Comment

*All fields required, your email address will be kept private


Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Lewis Hamilton and Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie: Lewis will stay at Merc

Bernie Ecclestone expects Lewis Hamilton to sign a new Mercedes contract as the world champion is "happy where he is".

Contract used as Kimi motivator

Maurizio Arrivabene says he won’t rush renewing Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari contract to keep the Finn motivated.

Bernie wants Lewis at Ferrari

Bernie Ecclestone says it would be great for F1 if Lewis Hamilton swapped the silver of Mercedes for the red of Ferrari.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Vettel v Raikkonen

Vettel v Raikkonen

Mark Hughes on the battle for supremacy at Ferrari and why the SF15-T suits both drivers' styles.

A dramatic fortnight

A dramatic fortnight

In her latest diary entry, Rachel Brookes on moderating that press conference, and plenty more.

The team-mate duels

The team-mate duels

See which drivers are ahead of their team-mate after the first four rounds of the 2015 season.