Paul di Resta lines up 17th on Monaco grid after Force India make wrong tyre call

"There's not much I can say," admits Scot after qualifying blunder

By Mike Wise.   Last Updated: 25/05/13 5:14pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix was a tale of woe for Paul Di Resta, who described it as the most "painful" Saturday performance of his F1 career after dropping out in session one.

The Force India driver lines up 17th on the starting grid, his lowest position since the 2011 Belgian GP, after falling foul of a bad tactical call made by his team.

Intermediates were the tyre of choice in the 20-minute opening session, which took place on a damp track. However, Force India failed to put a fresh set on the Scot's car during the closing moments.

The radio messages relayed from pit wall to driver and back on di Resta's slow-down lap revealed his frustration. "I apologise for that; that's a mess," his engineer admitted. "You're joking!" came the response.

Speaking later to Sky Sports F1's Natalie Pinkham, di Resta confirmed that there was more to his predicament than simple bad luck.

"I think it was a clear thing and there'll be a few people in the team kicking themselves. I'm not going to say too much because I'll say something I probably shouldn't," he said.

"There was a clear thing we should have done. All the other cars did it and we got left out to dry really. Probably the most painful experience I've ever had in qualifying.

"It's a difficult day ahead tomorrow, with not much hope that you can actually do something."

Underlining di Resta's frustration was the fact that he had been targeting a place in the top ten on a track where qualifying invariably plays a large part in determining the race result.

"(Qualifying) is a big part of it and today was the key to make sure we did something. We failed to achieve it when we were P7 this morning, we were very good yesterday," he added.

"We made big improvement. I think we were very strong in the wet; it was looking good. I'd have preferred it had stayed wet as we had the pace to definitely fight.

"We'll wait and see. There's not much I can say."

The 2013 Monaco Grand Prix this weekend is live only on Sky Sports F1. Don't miss out, upgrade or subscribe to Sky Sports today or purchase a 24-hour day pass from Now TV

  • Share:

Related

Monaco GP 2013

Felipe Massa: Crashed heavily in the Monaco GP

Ferrari explain Massa crash

Ferrari have confirmed that suspension failure was the cause of Felipe Massa's accident during the Monaco Grand Prix.

Martin Brundle reports from trackside during P2 as Nico Rosberg goes past

Brundle: What a crazy finale

A slow burner of a race but our patience was rewarded with some crazy racing, broken carbon fibre and dented barriers.

Kimi Raikkonen: Thoroughly unimpressed with Sergio Perez

Raikkonen lets rip at Perez

Kimi Raikkonen says Sergio Perez has "no idea" what he's talking about and should be "hit in the face" for Monaco clash.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Paper review

Paper review

Hamilton's decision to ignore team-orders in Hungary dominated the back pages on Monday.

Hungarian GP report

Hungarian GP report

Daniel Ricciardo wins a wet-dry thriller as Hamilton defies team order amid pitlane to podium charge.

Move of the day

Move of the day

Ricciardo braves it out around the outside of Hamilton at Turn Two, giving him the inside for Three.