Jenson Button says he won't necessarily have a role at McLaren-Honda in 2015

2009 World Champion not thinking too far ahead

By Mike Wise.   Last Updated: 22/05/13 5:10pm

  • Share:

Jenson Button is refusing to look too far ahead in his career despite the news that McLaren are to renew their legendary partnership with Honda in 2015.

The association, which yielded a total of eight world titles when it was originally struck up between 1988 and 1992, was announced last week, with Honda once again supplying engines to the Woking team.

Having withdrawn from F1 in 2008 in light of the global economic crisis, the Japanese manufacturer has been drawn back to the sport by the rule changes, to be introduced next season, which feature 'greener' power.

For Button, it represents the chance to personally reacquaint himself with Honda. He drove for the works team when they pulled out five seasons ago, having originally joined the team, then known as BAR, back in 2003.

On the face of it, the deal appears to place the 2009 World Champion in a position where he can thrive: Button knows both parties well and McLaren seem keen to keep him on board, even though they are currently struggling to be competitive.

Yet Button will also be 35 years old when the agreement starts and, speaking in Monaco on Thursday ahead of this weekend's race, he said he would rather not make plans.

"I don't want to think about the future too much at the moment. You've got to live in the moment and I don't think trying to agree a lengthy deal for the future is something that is interesting at the moment for me," Button said.

"I'm 13 years in the sport and I want to have freedom - that feeling of 'If it doesn't feel right anymore, then stop'.

"I definitely don't feel like that yet and it does feel like it's going to be a long way down the road. For me, that freedom is important in the future."

Button did give a thumbs-up to the partnership, however, and said that 2014's new rules - which stipulate 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged engines, a fuel flow limit and greater reliance on energy recovery systems - could persuade more manufacturers to compete.

"For us as a team, I think it's good news for the future. But I also think for the sport as a whole, it's fantastic news. Having another engine manufacturer in the sport is good; we have four very strong engine manufacturers in the sport," he added.

"With the new regulations, it's going to bring in other manufacturers and Honda being the first to announce that is great - and hopefully there will be more."

The 2013 Monaco Grand Prix this weekend is live only on Sky Sports F1. Don't miss out, upgrade or subscribe to Sky Sports today

  • Share:

Related

Monaco GP 2013

Felipe Massa: Crashed heavily in the Monaco GP

Ferrari explain Massa crash

Ferrari have confirmed that suspension failure was the cause of Felipe Massa's accident during the Monaco Grand Prix.

Martin Brundle reports from trackside during P2 as Nico Rosberg goes past

Brundle: What a crazy finale

A slow burner of a race but our patience was rewarded with some crazy racing, broken carbon fibre and dented barriers.

Kimi Raikkonen: Thoroughly unimpressed with Sergio Perez

Raikkonen lets rip at Perez

Kimi Raikkonen says Sergio Perez has "no idea" what he's talking about and should be "hit in the face" for Monaco clash.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

P2 timesheet

P2 timesheet

Lewis Hamilton surges over six tenths clear of teammate Nico Rosberg at Spa-Francorchamps.

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis Hamilton takes on the ice-bucket challenge after Daniel Ricciardo's nomination on Thursday.

Development corner

Development corner

Who's brought what to Spa? What team has made the biggest changes? Ted Kravitz investigates.