Lewis Hamilton denies requesting Bernie Ecclestone's help for a move to Red Bull

Lewis feeling 'nervous' after F1 supremo's remarks

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 26/03/13 4:16pm

  • Share:
Rather than joining Vettel at Red Bull, Hamilton is now at Mercedes

Rather than joining Vettel at Red Bull, Hamilton is now at Mercedes

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Lewis Hamilton has denied claims he asked Bernie Ecclestone to facilitate him a transfer from McLaren to Red Bull last year.

In a highly-incendiary report published on the morning of Sunday's Malaysian GP, not only was it claimed Hamilton asked Ecclestone to 'broker a move for him to join Red Bull alongside Sebastian Vettel', but also that 'advanced discussions took place at the British Grand Prix last summer - and collapsed, according to Ecclestone, only because of the decency of Red Bull's billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz' who opted to retain Mark Webber.

Hamilton, however, has insisted that wasn't the case.

"I'm not quite sure why Bernie keeps making comments about me. It makes me a little bit nervous because we have quite a good relationship," the 2008 World Champion, who ultimately signed a three-year deal with Mercedes after declining to sign a new contract with McLaren, told The Daily Mail.

"I'm quite open with him with a lot of stuff, it is just through respect. I don't really know what to say. I think he said something about Red Bull. I said to my management team to speak to all the teams and see what the best options were. There was no team I was particularly pushing for.

"At the end of the day, I chose to be here and I'm happy here. It's the best decision I ever made."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Force India retain Hulkenberg

Force India have confirmed Nico Hulkenberg will remain with the team in 2015 after a successful return this year.

Kimi could continue into 2016

Birthday boy Kimi Raikkonen has opened the door to staying at Ferrari and prolonging his Formula 1 career into 2016.

Luca Di Montezemolo: Believes Fernando Alonso needs fresh start

Di Montezemolo: Alonso leaving

Former president Luca di Montezemolo believes Fernando Alonso will leave Ferrari because he wants to revive title hopes.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Driver coaching

Driver coaching

Our reporter's motorsport journey continues with coaching from 2012 BTCC champion Gordon Shedden.

Palmer's GP2 diary

Palmer's GP2 diary

The newly crowned GP2 Champion on his title winning weekend in Russia and 2015 Formula 1 goals.

'Alonso is leaving'

'Alonso is leaving'

Former Ferrari President Luca Di Montezemolo says Fernando Alonso wants a new challenge.