Lewis Hamilton denies requesting Bernie Ecclestone's help for a move to Red Bull

Lewis feeling 'nervous' after F1 supremo's remarks

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 26/03/13 4:16pm

  • Share:
Rather than joining Vettel at Red Bull, Hamilton is now at Mercedes

Rather than joining Vettel at Red Bull, Hamilton is now at Mercedes

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Lewis Hamilton has denied claims he asked Bernie Ecclestone to facilitate him a transfer from McLaren to Red Bull last year.

In a highly-incendiary report published on the morning of Sunday's Malaysian GP, not only was it claimed Hamilton asked Ecclestone to 'broker a move for him to join Red Bull alongside Sebastian Vettel', but also that 'advanced discussions took place at the British Grand Prix last summer - and collapsed, according to Ecclestone, only because of the decency of Red Bull's billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz' who opted to retain Mark Webber.

Hamilton, however, has insisted that wasn't the case.

"I'm not quite sure why Bernie keeps making comments about me. It makes me a little bit nervous because we have quite a good relationship," the 2008 World Champion, who ultimately signed a three-year deal with Mercedes after declining to sign a new contract with McLaren, told The Daily Mail.

"I'm quite open with him with a lot of stuff, it is just through respect. I don't really know what to say. I think he said something about Red Bull. I said to my management team to speak to all the teams and see what the best options were. There was no team I was particularly pushing for.

"At the end of the day, I chose to be here and I'm happy here. It's the best decision I ever made."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Sainz confirmed at Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso have confirmed that Carlos Sainz will partner Max Verstappen in an all-rookie line-up at the team in 2015.

Vergne to leave Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Vergne has confirmed he is leaving Toro Rosso and is expected to be replaced by Carlos Sainz for 2015.

Force India confirm Perez

Force India have officially confirmed Sergio Perez will remain at the team for 2015 and beyond after signing a new multi-year deal.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

The Midweek Report

The Midweek Report

David Tremayne & Ted Kravitz join Anna to debate Lewis' title win, double points, and Button's future

What was said...

What was said...

Remember when Hamilton's Mercedes move seemed a bad idea? Here's what was said at the time.

The best man won

The best man won

Martin Brundle pays tribute to the new World Champion and looks back on a year of highs and deep lows in F1.