Horner wants Webber stay

World Champions 'would like to see' Webber stay on for 2013

Last Updated: 09/07/12 2:35pm

  • Share:

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says the team will sit down with British GP winner Mark Webber "in the next few weeks" to try and tie the Australian to a new deal for 2013.

Webber is in his sixth season at the World Champion team and since 2009 has been happy to sign rolling one-year contracts with the Milton Keynes outfit. As yet, he has yet to renew his deal for next season and has been heavily linked to a switch to Ferrari to partner Fernando Alonso.

But after taking his second win in the last four races to cut Alonso's World Championship lead to 13 points at Silverstone on Sunday, Horner suggested the team were looking to retain the 35-year-old's services for another season and would soon make moves to make a deal happen.

THE ONLY PLACE TO BE

Sky Sports F1 HD is THE only place to watch the 2012 Formula 1 season in full live. Our extensive coverage continues with the German Grand Prix exclusively live on 20-22nd July.
FRIDAY 20th - P1 from 8.45am. P2 from 12.45pm
SATURDAY 21st - P3 from 9.45am. Q from 12pm
SUNDAY 22nd - Race from 11.30am
To find out all the different ways to watch the action, click here

"We have a great relationship with Mark," Horner said. "I think Mark wants to be in the team next year.

"As we have always stated, during the summer we will sit down and talk about the future. In the next few weeks we will be talking about 2013.

"Inevitably there is an awful lot of speculation but he has had all of his success in Formula 1 with this team and we would like to see that continue."

Webber, who turns 36 in August, signed his current single-season RBR deal ahead of last year's Belgian Grand Prix straight after F1's summer break but has so far remained tight-lipped about his plans for 2013.

Asked by Sky Sports F1's Simon Lazenby if his latest win would accelerate a new Red Bull deal, Webber simply replied: "I think I'll be in Formula 1 next year..."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso: 'Judge Max on pace'

Fernando Alonso says Max Verstappen's readiness for F1 should be judged on his performances in 2015 rather than his age.

Max Verstappen will replace Jean-Eric Vergne

Verstappen makes F1 history

Toro Rosso have announced Max Verstappen for the 2015 season making him, at just 17, the youngest driver in F1 history.

Settlement ends Bernie trial

Formula 1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has agreed an £60m settlement to end his bribery case in Germany.

Most Popular

Features

P2 timesheet

P2 timesheet

Lewis Hamilton surges over six tenths clear of teammate Nico Rosberg at Spa-Francorchamps.

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis Hamilton takes on the ice-bucket challenge after Daniel Ricciardo's nomination on Thursday.

Development corner

Development corner

Who's brought what to Spa? What team has made the biggest changes? Ted Kravitz investigates.