Murray - Fans must back Gers
Gers chief will discover on July 4 whether 'newco' can join SPL
Last Updated: June 19, 2012 7:41pm
Malcolm Murray: Gers chairman has urged fans to back the new regime
Rangers chairman Malcolm Murray has urged fans to back the new regime after a Walter Smith-led consortium withdrew their interest in buying the club.
The former Ibrox boss confirmed that he would step aside after a £6million offer to the Charles Green consortium was rejected.
Green completed his purchase of the troubled Glasgow giants last week and subsequently confirmed he was open to investment from a consortium backed by Smith.
Murray was swiftly appointed to the board after the ex-Sheffield United chief executive completed the acquisition and stressed again that his involvement in the company now known as The Rangers Football Club is not for "personal gain."
Murray said in a statement: "On behalf of the board of directors I would like to reaffirm the long term commitment of the investors who acquired the club last week.
"The consortium is wholly committed to rebuilding Rangers and their investment is regarded as a strategic long-term project.
"As I have said previously I am not in this for personal gain and what is of paramount importance is the club regains stability both in financial and footballing terms.
"Since the announcement last week by the Walter Smith consortium, our position as a board has been clear in that we would welcome constructive dialogue with all those involved.
"The Green consortium said last Thursday evening that it was not looking for a sale and that is the view of the investors.
"We can however say to supporters that the assurances the Walter Smith consortium are looking for regarding financial probity and high standards of corporate governance will be met.
"Following the announcement today on behalf of the Walter Smith consortium, the board would urge all Rangers fans to now get behind the club."
Green will discover on July 4 whether his newco will be granted entry into the Scottish Premier League, with all 12 top-flight clubs set to vote on the issue.
Next season's fixtures were released on Monday morning with Rangers replaced with 'Club 12' until the situation is clarified.
The SPL also announced disciplinary charges will be brought against Rangers when the future of the club is clearer, and before the start of the new season, following an investigation into player payments outside of contract in relation to Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs).
Murray added: "We have huge issues to address in terms of the club's status within the SPL and SFA and it is important that we unite prior to decisions being taken about the club's future by the football authorities.
"We continue to welcome any input from members of the Walter Smith consortium or other stakeholders who have Rangers' interests at heart.
"These matters are of critical importance to us all as Rangers fans.
"All fans, myself included, have gone through enough anguish in the last year and it is now time to move forward.
"The most important thing of all is working together to deliver a successful future for Rangers and Scottish football.
"I have had good discussions today with Ally McCoist, Sandy Jardine and members of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund and all are agreed, it is important for the club to move forward."
Chief executive Green said: "I fully recognise there is a huge job to be done to rebuild the trust between the fans and the club which has been badly broken.
"I will do everything I can to help rebuild Rangers and the most important challenges we face at the moment are about our future and what league we play in.
"I can assure fans that I will work tirelessly in the interests of the club to secure its future."