Del Piero the key for Juve chief
By Nadia Carminati. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Juventus supremo Giovanni Cobolli Gigli has stated that the disgraced Italian side will rebuild around the figure of Alessandro Del Piero.
The Old Lady of Italian football suffered heavily in the verdicts stemming from the Serie A match-fixing scandal, and barring a successful appeal will begin next season in the second tier for the first time in their history.
A 30-point deduction will also ensure they do not attain promotion at the first attempt, and as a result a mass exodus of The Bianconeri's stars is expected to take place.
However club captain and all-time record goalscorer Del Piero stated before the end of the trial that he would stick by the club whatever their fate, securing his legendary status in the eyes of the Juve fans.
So far the forward has been the only player to commit himself in such a public fashion, and new chairman Cobolli Gigli says the club must 'restart' around the iconic figure in the coming campaign.
"We restart from Del Piero," said Cobolli Gigli.
"I met the other players who came back from the World Cup, but I could shake their hands."
Cobolli Gigli also continued his diatribe against the sanctions that he believes are far too harsh on the club deemed the worst perpetrators in the scandal that has blighted Italian football.
As well as their demotion and points deduction Juventus were stripped of their last two titles, despite last season falling outside the remit of the high-profile investigation.
"It's unthinkable not assigning the Scudetto of 2005/06 because last season wasn't included in the enquiry," Cobolli Gigli added.
"Titles have been deserved on the ground and it's a bad damage from a moral point of view."