Champions League

Man Utd in Turkey

Watch video highlights of Manchester United versus Galatasaray from 1993 as we recall their previous trips to Turkey. Sir Alex's side have already safely negotiated their passage to the knockout phase of the Champions League but past Turkish sojourns haven't always been so straightforward

Man Utd v Galatasaray - 20th October 1993

Manchester United travel to Turkey to play Galatasaray in Tuesday night's UEFA Champions League Group H game with the Red Devils having already secured their progression to the next round.

With second place still up for grabs, the hosts will be hoping for a result to keep their European dreams alive. The two sides first met when they were drawn together in the 1993/94 campaign but the Red Devils have been to Turkey on a number of occasions since.

Sky Sports take a look back at some of their previous outings there.

Galatasaray 0-0 Manchester United, 3rd November 1993

Manchester United's hopes of lifting the European Cup in the 1993/94 season came to an end after a controversial 0-0 draw with Galatasaray in Istanbul. Having drawn the first leg 3-3 at Old Trafford when United threw away a two-goal lead, Galatasaray held out for a draw to progress on away goals. Eric Cantona was shown the red card at the final whistle after a confrontation with the referee, Kurt Rothlisberger, when he told him what he thought of his performance. Cantona was almost dismissed earlier in the game when his frustrations over Galatasaray's time wasting antics got the better of him and he elbowed their reserve goalkeeper Nezih Ali Bologlu in the chest after booting the ball out of his hands. The game was marred with clashes between supporters off the pitch and the hostility inside the Ali Sami Yen stadium clearly played its part on the result with an 18-year-old Gary Neville describing the atmosphere as: "The most incredible noise I've ever experienced in my life."

Galatasaray 0-0 Manchester United, 28th September 1994

Sir Alex Ferguson returned to Istanbul less than 12 months later when his charges were drawn against Galatasaray in the following season's newly formatted group stages. The game was a much quieter affair than the previous year's fixture with many United fans opting not to travel after what they had witnessed in that game. Cantona was suspended for his behaviour in that fixture but United held on for what was seen as a good point and the score line repeated itself for the second year in a row. David Beckham made his Champions League debut in the return game at Old Trafford when United were victorious in a 4-0 win but both sides eventually failed to progress through the group stages, with the Red Devils missing out on goal difference to Barcelona, meaning Ferguson's wait for a meaningful run in the Champions League continued.

Fenerbahce 0-2 Manchester United, 16th October 1996

Ferguson's side made a return to Turkey two years later when they were drawn against Fenerbahce in the group stages of the 1996/97 Champions League. United secured an impressive 2-0 win thanks to second-half goals from Beckham and Cantona. They were beaten 1-0 in the return fixture at Old Trafford but a win against Rapid Vienna in the final group game ensured their progression to the knock-out stages. They went on to make it through to the semi-finals but were beaten 1-0 in both games by eventual winners Borussia Dortmund.

Fenerbahce 3-0 Manchester United, 8th December 2004

The Red Devils travelled to Turkey to meet Fenerbahce in 2004 having already secured their qualification for the last 16. Fenerbahce's fate was also sealed before the game with them heading for the UEFA Cup, so Ferguson made a host of changes, with Cristiano Ronaldo being the only survivor from the previous weekend's win against Southampton. David Bellion, Liam Miller and Kieran Richardson were all handed rare starts as United crashed to a 3-0 defeat. The result meant that Lyon won the group and United had to settle for a second place finish. They met eventual runners-up AC Milan in the knock-out stages but lost both fixtures 1-0.

Besiktas 0-1 Manchester United, 15th September 2009

A Paul Scholes header was the only goal of the game as United got their Champions League Group B campaign off to a positive start. The game itself was fairly evenly matched with United being reduced to mainly shooting from distance in a hostile Turkish atmosphere which Ferguson had become accustomed to over the years. United eventually found joy late on when Scholes headed in off the post after goalkeeper Hakan Ankan spilled Nani's shot into his path. One of the game's main talking points was Wayne Rooney slamming his boots against the dugout in frustration after being substituted for Michael Owen. United went on the win the group before being knocked out in the quarter finals on away goals by Bayern Munich.

Bursaspor 0-3 Manchester United, 2nd November 2010

Manchester United returned to Turkey the following season when they were drawn against Bursaspor in Group C of the Champions League. Ferguson maintained that the Premier League was his main focus and he gave starts to a number of youngsters including Chris Smalling, Rafael Da Silva and Gabriel Obertan. Scholes had a first-half goal disallowed for a handball before United eased to a 3-0 victory thanks to second-half goals from Darren Fletcher, Obertan and Portuguese youngster Bebe. The result meant that they would only need a point from their remaining two group games to qualify for the knock-out stages. United finished top of Group B before being beaten finalists at Wembley against Barcelona.