Marco states his case to Fifa

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Marco Materazzi has given Fifa his version of the controversial scenes that saw Zinedine Zidane sent off in the World Cup final in a hearing with the governing body's disciplinary committee in Zurich.

The Italian defender was at the centre of the storm for Zidane's red card, and has been accused of levelling severe insults which could have provoked the French midfielder into receiving a red card for his shocking headbutt during extra time of Italy's victory in Berlin.

Both players are being investigated for their part in the distasteful scenes on the game's biggest stage, and Materazzi has now been putting his case to Fifa.

The Azzurri star's face-to-face meeting, which lasted around an hour and a half, had been brought forward due to a holiday he had planned, with Zidane making his own statement on July 20 when a verdict is also expected.

Zidane has claimed that Materazzi insulted both his sister and his mother, causing him to thrust his head into the chest of the Italian defender.

The former Everton stopper has admitted insulting Zidane, whilst denying he referred to the star's mother, and travelled to the hearing with a personal lawyer and the Italian Federation's external relations executive Sergio Di Cesare.

No details have yet emerged as to what Materazzi said at the hearing, or what sanctions the Internazionale man could yet face as the controversy rumbles on.

However, the player's agent says his client was pleased with the proceedings in Zurich.

"Marco was optimistic after the meeting," said Claudio Vigorelli.

"Everything went fine. He gave his version of what happened.

"He will not have to return to Zurich at a later stage."