Luke Shaw has revealed that England manager Roy Hodgson has told him to ignore the comparisons with Ashley Cole as the pair do battle for a World Cup berth.
The teenage Southampton left-back appears to be competing with Chelsea veteran Cole for a place in the 23-man squad for Brazil this summer, with Everton's Leighton Baines looking a certainty to be included.
Shaw made his England debut as a half-time replacement for Cole in Wednesday's 1-0 friendly victory over Denmark at Wembley, but he is now focusing on Saints after helping them to a 1-0 win at Crystal Palace on Saturday.
"I try to ignore that sort of stuff, the media attention, as obviously it is going to happen," Shaw said.
"I spoke with Roy about it and he said that 'there is nothing you can do about it, this stuff is going to happen'.
"I am going to keep pushing myself and see what happens at the end of the season.
"I am not thinking about Brazil at all. I've still got nine other games left and I will focus on them and see what happens at the end of the season."
Shaw was one four Southampton players in Hodgson's 30-man squad to face Denmark, joining the previously-capped Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez.
That was a record number of call-ups for Saints, but Shaw believes that number could soon be beaten as the likes of Nathaniel Clyne, Calum Chambers, Jack Cork and James Ward-Prowse look to follow suit.
"It is unbelievable," he said. "There were four of us in the England squad on Wednesday and I am sure there is going to be more in the future.
"The team spirit is great, especially when we are winning. It is very high and it is like a family club.
"Everyone looks after each other, especially the older lads with the likes of me, Calum and Prowsey. They help us a lot at training."