Saha out of France squad

United striker replaced by Sinama-Pongolle

Saha: Early withdrawal

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Louis Saha has pulled out of the France squad for next week's friendly double-header against England and Mali.

The Manchester United striker had been picked along with nine other Premier League players in Raymond Domenech's 39-man party.

However, he has now withdrawn for an unspecified reason and will be replaced by Recreativo Huelva forward Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

Domenech will select an 'B' team to face Mali on Tuesday and France will then tackle England at Stade de France a day later.

Domenech has explained the thinking behind his selection and also looked forward to testing himself against England manager Fabio Capello.

Options

"He's a super coach and a good guy as well," said Domenech. "We have seen the tapes of his last matches, there is a real evolution in the team, a lot of hard work.

"I wanted to broaden (the squad) completely. I wanted the maximum number of players to keep my options open and to cover potential injuries that may occur."

David Trezeguet was a notable omission from the squad but Domenech has insisted the Juventus striker could still return for Euro 2008.

Domenech said: "I listened to his point if view. Playing for the 'B' team has no interest for him, and not for me either, since I know his qualities.

"It remains possible that I will call him up. You always need goalscorers. Even though he is scoring less at the moment."