Eredivisie play-off round-up

Waalwijk and Vitesse to go head-to-head in decider

Dwight Tiendalli: Missed a chance to put FC Twente ahead early on

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

RKC Waalwijk upset FC Twente to book a place in the Eredivisie Europa League play-off final, where they will meet Vitesse Arnhem after they beat NEC Nijmegen.

Furkan Alakmak was the hero for RKC, scoring just seconds after coming on as a substitute in the 84th minute.

He produced a superb dribble and shot to seal the 1-0 win - and the tie - after a 1-1 draw in the first leg.

Dwight Tiendalli could have put Twente in front in the eighth minute but his 20-yard effort came off the outside of the post.

With 20 minutes gone Denny Landzaat somehow managed to head the wrong side of the post when faced with an open net from Nacer Chadli's cross.

Those two chances aside there was little quality from either side in the first half, with Twente not playing at full tempo and RKC struggling for quality in the final third.

The standard scarcely improved in the first quarter-hour of the second half but finally Twente found some work for goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet.

He was up to the challenge, saving well from consecutive Chadli headers - the second partially thanks to Henrico Drost's support on the line.

In the 61st minute Roberto Rosales was well placed to cross for the unmarked Luuk de Jong but his delivery was woeful.

RKC finally put some meaningful position together but Jeff Stans, Mitchell Schet and Rick ten Voorde all saw shots blocked before testing the goalkeeper.

Alakmak came on after 84 minutes and scored with his first involvement in the game, dribbling into the box from the right and placing his shot expertly in the far corner.

That moment of quality was at odds with the rest of the game but he almost created a second in the 89th minute when his cross just evaded Ten Voorde.


Vitesse Arnhem booked their place in the decider with a 2-0 win as two second-half goals overturned a first-leg deficit against 10-man NEC Nijmegen.

NEC went into the game with a narrow lead following a dramatic game on Thursday night, but things started to go wrong in the 32nd minute of the second leg when Bram Nuytinck was sent off.

Nicky Hofs opened the scoring in the 51st minute to level the tie on aggregate before NEC were reduced to nine men three minutes later when Navarone Foor saw red.

And Wilfried Bony scored the winner in the tie in the 76th minute to keep Vitesse's hopes of European qualification on track.