Juve agree Lucio deal?
By Nadia Carminati. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
JUVENTUS are reported to have agreed a surprise deal to sign Bayer Leverkusen defender Lucio.
The news comes as something of a surprise after Lucio last week released a statement claiming he was staying at the BayArena next season after turning down a move to Roma.
Lucio turned down a move to the Italian capital last week claiming he was happy to stay with Leverkusen, but he is believed to be happy to join Juve.
Reports in Italy suggest that Juve have agreed a é¼14 million deal for the Brazilian, with the player staying in Germany for another year before arriving in Turin.
"Will Lucio be going to Juventus? Not this year," stated Bayer spokesman Ullrich Dost. "All I can say is that the player will definitely remain here for the new campaign."
Bayer financial director Wolfgang Holzhauzer admitted that the club were happy with Juve's offer and revealing their discontent at how Roma handled the deal.
"As far as I know, Lucio never wanted to go to Roma," said Holzhauzer.
"Roma President Franco Sensi rushed things by announcing the move before talks had even started. That concerned Lucio.
"Juventus handled it completely differently by dealing with us and presenting us with a formal written offer. Details of which I can't disclose."
Juve general director Luciano Moggi has played down the reports claiming they have made no move for Lucio.
"I don't even want to comment on this speculation, I have already reiterated what our position is," Moggi told Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.
Bayer are resigned to losing their star defender after their disappointing campaign last term and Juve are keen to bolster their defence as they look to retain their Serie A title and lift the Champions League next season.