Klose blow for Bremen
By Chris Ives. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Werder Bremen striker Miroslav Klose will be out of action for at least three weeks after suffering a broken cheekbone against Barcelona.
The Germany international star was forced to leave the pitch at Camp Nou after a second half clash of heads with Barca defender Rafael Marquez and was taken to hospital in Barcelona for tests.
Ç£Miroslav Klose's injury was the worst thing about this evening,Ç¥ said Werder sport director Klaus Allofs after the 3-1 UEFA Champions League defeat.
Ç£It is a catastrophe for our team when a player like him is out for a long period. You only have to look at the number of goals he has scored to see what an important role he has played in our good season so far,Ç¥ he added.
Klose is the current top scorer in Die Bundesliga with 14 goals, as Bremen attempt to keep pace with league leaders Bayern Munich.
The North German outfit are already without his injured strike partner Ivan Klasnic and the loss of the 27-year-old will be hard to compensate for.
Ç£With Miro and Ivan both missing, we are without our first choice strikers, but now it's time for the team to show its collective strength,Ç¥ said Bremen midfielder Tim Borowski.
Ç£Other players now have the opportunity to step up and I'm confident that we will survive this difficult phase."