Uefa Cup Group A Round-up

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Feyenoord all but assured Uefa Cup group qualification after a thrilling 2-1 victory over German giants Schalke at De Kuip.

A first half brace from Salomon Kalou (pictured) gave the Rotterdam club three crucial points from Wednesday's home encounter against the Bundesliga high-flyers, despite Mike Hanke putting the visitors ahead in the early stages.

Ralf Rangnick's side have been going well in Die Bundesliga and in front of a passionate full crowd at De Kuip, they took the lead when a corner from the left was flicked on to Hanke by Christian Poulsen.

The striker was able to knock the ball past Feyenoord's Patrick Mtiliga, who was defending on the goal line, to give the Eredivisie side the lead.

Both sides then traded chances, with Dirk Kuyt forcing a good save from Schalke goalkeeper Frank Rost while Poulsen headed another corner from the left over the bar.

Just before the half hour mark, Feyenoord boss Ruud Gullit brought Shinji Ono on for Mtiliga and the move soon changed the flow of the contest.

The home side then pulled level when Kuyt won possession in the Schalke half before playing in Kalou.

He beat two defenders before finishing past Rost to bring delight to the home crowd.

Four minutes before the break, Kuyt and Kalou combined again to give Feyenoord the lead.

Kuyt's cross from the right found an unmarked Kalou at the far post and his sublime diving header found the corner of the net to give the home side the lead at the break.

The second half saw excellent attacking endeavour from both sides, but no more goals were conceded by the final whistle.

The result pulls Feyenoord level on seven points with Schalke, with the Germans having played their four matches in Group A, but look safe to make the next stage.

The other Group A match in Budapest saw Swiss side Basel bounce back from their home defeat to Hearts to defeat Hungarian giants Ferencvaros 2-1 - who missed a late penalty to earn a draw.

The home side took the lead mid-way through the first half after Ferencvaros won a penalty when Aleksander Bajevski was brought down in the box by Basel's Boris Smiljanic.

West Bromwich Albion target Szabolcs Huszti stepped up to take the spot kick, but Basel goalkeeper Pascal Zuberbuhler was able to stop his initial strike.  

The rebound, however, fell to Denes Rosa and he put the rebound past the Basel custodian to give the Hungarians a one-goal lead at the break.

The goal was cruel on Christian Gross's side, who had looked the better team in the first half.

The visitors, however, would level near the hour mark when Argentine striker Julio Rossi converted Kleber's cross from the left for 1-1.

Basel then scored their winner with 11 minutes left, as Benjamin Huggel converted another Kleber cross to make it 2-1.

Ferencvaros, however, could have earned a point when they won a penalty with six minutes remaining after Basel substitute David Degen handled in the box.

Goalkeeper Lajos Szucs stepped up to take the spot kick, but he hit it wide of the left-hand post, as Basel held on for three valuable points.

The result means Basel need a result in their final match against Feyenoord to ensure their passage into the next stage.

Click below for match summaries:

Uefa Cup - Group A
Ferencvaros 1-2 Basel
Feyenoord 2-1 Schalke

Click here updated Uefa Cup tables.