Rava set for new Perugia talks
By Nadia Carminati & Patricio Figueroa. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Veteran striker Fabrizio Ravanelli is aiming to resurrect his Perugia career by stating he is willing to resume contract talks.
The former Italian international appeared to call time on his spell with the club earlier this week after going back on agreement to sign a one-year deal.
Ravanelli performed the U-turn after the Serie B side failed to fulfil a promise to hand him a role as a club official when he retires.
Perugia's chief officer Alessandro Gaucci then retorted by saying Ravanelli would never play for the club again, even if he was willing to pay for the privilege.
It now seems as though a truce has been called after the ex-Middlesbrough and Derby County forward stated talks will be reopened.
A firm decision on the matter is expected at the start of next week, with Ravanelli looking to resolve the issue.
"In the last few hours, there has been a renewed approach between me and Perugia's representatives to discuss the agreement again," said Ravanelli.
"We need a few days to meet and talk so I'll announce my reasons at the beginning of next week."
Meanwhile, Argentine defender Carlos Arano has returned home after spending the second half of last season on loan at Perugia.
Arano signed for Siena 12 months ago from Racing Club before being shipped out to Perugia in January.
But he failed to secure regular first team football and is delighted to be back in Argentina on a year-long loan with Quilmes.
"It has been more than ten months since I last played so I am very happy to have the chance to go back to Argentina and start to train again," said Arano.
"In Siena I didn't have any chance and in Perugia even less chances and I even had to train with the youth team."