Fiorentina striker Giuseppe Rossi will travel to the United States this week to see a knee specialist in order to confirm the extent of his injury and his recovery time.
The Italy international was hurt in his side's 1-0 triumph over Livorno on Sunday and tests have so far ruled out Rossi needing to undergo surgery to his right knee.
Rossi has previously undergone two operations to reconstruct cruciate ligaments on the same knee.
"The tests done so far have, for the time being, ruled out surgery," Rossi's agent Andrea Pastorello told Italian TV station Mediaset.
"The knee is still swollen and we still have to wait to find out the extent of the injury and his recovery time.
"We will leave for the United States this week and see doctor (Richard) Steadman, who knows better than anyone Giuseppe's knee.
"After his first (knee) operation, Giuseppe decided to go to professor Steadman and he is the only one that he wants to go and see."
Reports in Italy claim that Rossi could be out of action for at least three months but could recover in time to play in his first World Cup this summer.
"We are taking it one day at a time," Pastorello said. "The World Cup is in five months' time but we are not looking that far ahead.
"Injuries are part of this profession. We will see what we can do in order for the player to return as soon as possible."
Rossi, who joined Fiorentina from Villarreal last summer, missed almost two seasons with two cruciate ligament injuries while at the Primera Liga club.
The 26-year-old returned to top form this season and leads the Serie A scoring charts with 14 goals.
Rossi was recalled to the Italy squad back in October after a two-year absence and is expected to be included in Cesare Prandelli's World Cup squad if fit.