Buffon still pondering future
By Nadia Carminati. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon insists he has still not made a decision over whether to remain at Juventus or leave in time for next season.
The World Cup winner has been strongly linked with a summer move to Internazionale despite Juve currently leading Serie B by five points following their demotion for match-fixing.
Buffon has previously asked for assurances that the Bianconeri will be capable of challenging for honours immediately if they win a quick return to Serie A.
However, the globe's best shot-stopper has yet to decide whether his long term future lies with the Turin club after almost leaving last summer.
"The future? I haven't decided yet," Buffon told Sky Italia.
"I have spoken with sporting director Alessio Secco. He knew that already last year I asked to leave because I wanted to change after many years. This is before the relegation.
"Then, for a certain amount of gratitude I told him: 'I'm not interested. This year I can earn less than usual. But if next year I decide to leave, let's try to find an agreement because I think I have already given you something important'.
"I don't consider myself as a flag player. I think the flag of the team is a player who started his career in that team and ends it there too.
"I have spent ten years at Parma and six years at Juve, I could never be a flag, maybe a symbol, yes."
Responding to persistent rumours of a possible move to Inter, Buffon admitted that Roberto Mancini's side would be the natural choice should he decide to leave.
"Inter? If I was clever the first side to which I would go would be Inter because they are the strongest and they could win in the next few years," Buffon added.
"But what counts are my relationships and many situations.
"If I remain, Juve are still the most important Italian side."