Mutu eyes Viola stay
Striker happy to commit to Fiorentina
By Simone Bargellini. Last Updated: December 10, 2010 11:48am
Mutu: Happy at Fiorentina
Adrian Mutu has stated his desire to remain at Fiorentina until the end of his career.
The striker's career has been plagued by controversy and he had to serve a nine-month suspension earlier this year after twice testing positive for the banned stimulant sibutramine.
He then lost his final appeal against his sacking by Chelsea in 2004 and was ordered to pay the Blues £14.3million in compensation.
Mutu's future also appeared uncertain in the summer when Fiorentina sporting director Pantaleo Corvino indicated that his high salary would be better spent in other ways.
However, a move never materialised and Mutu has found himself back in favour since returning to action at the end of October.
The 31-year-old is now ready to commit his future to the club and insists he will not pay any attention to speculation that may arise if his good form continues.
"The nine months of suspension were tiring, both mentally and physically, but I never thought to stop playing," Mutu told La Nazione.
"Every day I missed football more and more. I have always enjoyed this life and I still love it.
"Fiorentina offered me a five-year contract renewal, but I said I would play football for only three.
"I want to stay and finish my career here. I really hope so. Florence is the city where I want to live.
"I don't think my future will be linked to the goals I'll score in the second half of the season.
"Fiorentina know what I'm worth when I'm good, and now here I am, ready to play great."