Abete slams Zeman outburst
FIGC president angry with Roma manager's comments
Last Updated: August 15, 2012 6:34pm
Giancarlo Abete: The FIGC president has railed against Zdenek Zeman's comments
The president of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) Giancarlo Abete has responded angrily to claims suspended Juventus coach Antonio Conte has not been treated severely enough.
On Friday, the manager of the current Serie A champions and his assistant Angelo Alessio were handed 10-month bans for failing to report two incidents of match-fixing during their time in charge of Siena.
Juve's technical director Massimo Carrera has assumed control of first-team affairs until Conte completes his suspension, and began life at the helm by claiming the Supercoppa with victory over Napoli in Beijing.
Conte's suspension, however, does not forbid him from coaching his players at La Vecchia's training ground during the week, a fact that inspired Roma manager Zdenek Zeman to criticise the FIGC's ruling on Sunday.
Despite not naming Conte, he told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "A suspended player can train, but I don't think a coach serving a lengthy ban should be able to train his players.
"I'm not fully appraised of the verdicts of the match-fixing trial, but I think the problem needs to be dealt with more decisively."
And FIGC president Abete railed against Zeman's comments on Wednesday, telling Tuttosport: "If the situation doesn't concern someone, they shouldn't talk about it.
"It's easy to suggest the rules need changing but, as it stands, the rules say that a banned coach can train his players during the week."
Juventus' general manager Giuseppe Marotta had already reacted negatively to Zeman's outburst.
On Sunday, in an interview featured on Juventus' official club website, he told Sky Sport 24: "As a football man and the general manager of Juventus, I feel Zeman's comments are inappropriate.
"He was referring to Conte even though he didn't mention him specifically. It was either a joke, and therefore a worthless comment, or an intentional gibe.
"He admitted he hadn't read the documentation himself and that he couldn't explain this first-instance ruling given to a fellow coach from the same association, who has been sentenced for failure to report rather than for any violation."
In total, 45 people and 13 clubs were under investigation in what was labelled the 'Calcioscommesse' scandal.
Conte's former side Siena accepted a six-point deduction in a plea bargain deal, while fellow Serie B clubs Lecce and Grosseto were demoted to the Lega Pro.
Former Lecce president Giovanni Semeraro, who sold the club in June, and former Grosseto president Piero Camilli were handed five-year bans for their involvement in the scandal.
However, six players - Leonardo Bonucci, Simone Pepe, Marco di Vaio, Salvatore Masiello, Daniele Padelli and Giuseppe Vives - were acquitted of the charges against them.