REAL SHOCKED BY TURKISH FIGHTBACK
By Luis Murillo. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
REAL MADRID boss Vicente del Bosque has spoken about his team's 3-2 defeat to Galatasaray in their first-leg quarter final match in the Champions League, ruing their second-half capitulation.
Having gone into the interval 2-0 up, Real seemed as though they were cruising to the semi-finals, until a second-half fightback turned the tables on the Spanish giants.
Del Bosque said: "We have fallen apart after the interval. It had been a great match, with a faultless game from Real Madrid in the first-half.
"In the second-half, and with Galatasaray facing a bad result, they attacked desperately and have had good luck. We have messed about and don't have the tie under control.
"At the interval, players and managers talked about confidence and all were euphoric, which was not good. It is difficult to explain. This is football.
"Now, of course, I don't like this result, but we can repair the problem at El Santiago Bernabeu."
Sporting director Jorge Valdano added his thoughts on the club's official website, saying: "It was not the fault of fatigue. It was due to tactical problems.
"It's a bad result, especially after the professional display that Real showed in the first-half. During the second, Galatasaray played an heroic 45 minutes, which brought Real to disorder."
Valdano is optimistic about the return fixture at El Santiago Bernabeu, adding: "We are lucky because there is another match, but Galatasaray's efforts have been serious and we feel uncomfortable.
"They have shown they are a great team, very mature. One which knows perfectly what to do."
Real Madrid players knows their second-half performance was poor, Portuguese star Luis Figo did not want to make excuses for the defeat and admitted: "The first-half went well, the second one was a disaster.
"At the interval we had the game won, and at the end they won the match. Now they have the advantage. It's football. We did not have concentration, and we played too defensively."
However, Figo is optimistic for the second game in a fortnight's time, saying: "The game is open, but we are going to suffer in Madrid.
"Galatasaray are a great team and it will not be easy to knock them out."
Asked whether it was the worst ever second-half performance by Real, Figo said: "When you concede three goals in 45 minutes, you can say that it was not a good half."
Brazilian Roberto Carlos said: "We have to maintain a calm head and not dwell on missed opportunities.
"I prefer the coach to talk, not a player, because I have been playing for Real Madrid for five years and it can be bad for players."
Spanish midfielder Ivan Helguera admitted: "I am not the only tired player. Everybody is talking about me, but there are other tired players.
"I have to organise the team and and also try to score."
Michel Salgado wanted to repair the problem in Madrid, saying: "We have failed and there is no solution in Turkey. Now, we have to repair this defeat in El Santiago Bernabeu."
Young goalkeeper Iker Casillas agreed, saying: "It is football and we have to play in Madrid with passion to win the match. It's impossible to explain what occurred."