Atletico - No Maniche deal
No deal stuck, as yet, for Portuguese star
By Lucas Brown. Last Updated: January 10, 2008 2:19pm
Maniche: Inter interest
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has denied that a deal has been done with Internazionale to allow Maniche to leave on loan.
Los Colchoneros' supremo was surprised by reports that the player was set to move and stated that while he was would consider an offer, none had been made.
Reports in Italy and Spain suggested that Inter had concluded a loan deal for the Portugal international, who shunned interest from England, for the second half of the current campaign.
"He is an Atletico player now. We are not doing anything in order to see him leave on loan or be sold," Cerezo said.
"Maniche is our player and he is training here. If his agent is trying to bring us an offer we will study and see then."
Cerezo did hint that he would like Maniche to stay, but was cryptic in his answer as he could have suggested that should he leave then another player will have to come in.
"For me the best thing is that we started the season with 24 players and we should end the season with 24 players," he continued.
"Two years ago we signed Maniche because we thought that he was a great player and we continue to think that."
Finally, Cerezo reflected on the alleged rift between coach Javier Aguirre and Maniche and said that it was down to them to solve any differences that they may have.
"I do not want to go into things like that as it will be sorted out in time," he explained.
"When two people have a problem they alone are the ones that can solve it. I just want everything to be peaceful and for us to win games."