Killie defend Kennedy deal
Everton didn't snatch teenage winger on the cheap, says chairman
Last Updated: September 5, 2012 9:33am
Matthew Kennedy: Signed as one for the future by Everton boss David Moyes
Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johnston has defended the deal which saw teenage winger Matthew Kennedy leave for Premier League side Everton.
Kennedy, 17, moved south of the border for an undisclosed six-figure fee shortly before last week's transfer deadline.
Kilmarnock were desperate to keep the talented youngster and had rebuffed the Merseyside club's original offer, which manager Kenny Shiels labelled as "derisory".
But Toffees boss David Moyes returned with another successful bid and Johnston insists the deal will benefit the Ayrshire club in the long term.
"We have a substantial interest in Matthew's development should he be sold on by Everton, so that's something we will keep an eye on for the future," he said.
"We've received a significant six-figure sum.
"It's not significant in terms of Premier League standard, but he's a development player. It may be a long-term project."