Pearson: I want Henrik's autograph

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Celtic new boy Stephen Pearson says the first task on his agenda is to nab the autograph of Bhoys legend Henrik Larsson.

The youngster clinched a dream move to his boyhood idols on Wednesday from cash-strapped Motherwell and is widely regarded as one of the best players outside of the Old Firm in Scotland.

The Fir Park outfit reluctantly agreed a £350,000 fee for the midfielder, after being set a 24-hour deadline by Martin O'Neill's men.

Swedish superstar Larsson looks set to end his incredible goalscoring feats with the East-End Glasgow giants in the summer and Pearson said he refused to sign a pre-contact agreement to join in the summer as it would have meant missing out on the opportunity to line up alongside his hero.

"I knew if I had signed a pre-contract then I would have missed out on the chance to play beside Henrik," Pearson told the Daily Record.

"I'm delighted that's not going to be the case and the first thing I'm going to have to do is get him to sign a few shirts for my friends and family.

"But it will be great to play in the same team as him, even if it's only for a few months."

The 21-year-old also confessed that there was an offer from the other side of the Scottish capital but Rangers wanted him to sign a pre-contract which would have deprived Well of a transfer fee.

"Rangers were interested but they wanted me to sign a pre-contract agreement and I really wanted to make sure Motherwelll got a decent fee for me.

"I already knew by then that Celtic were willing to pay money for me now and I knew Rangers wouldn't match that so I never really considered the option of moving to Ibrox because there were no bids and no discussions.

"In any case, once I knew that Celtic were interested in signing me there was only one place I really wanted to go."

Pearson also added that after his agent revealed to him that Celtic were interested in him he received a phone call from O'Neill on his mobile but because the number was witheld, he thought that the call might be a hoax.

"He phoned me on my mobile and, for a minute, I thought it was somebody at the wind-up," he added.

"I didn't know who it was and I didn't really know what to say.

"I checked my phone and I saw it was a private number that had come up. Then he asked, 'Can you talk?' and I realised it was for real. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

"I was actually in the house at the time watching TV with my mum and dad. I put it on hands free so they could hear it for themselves.

"It was a bit surreal and, to tell you the truth, it still is. It's still to hit home."