Samuel treble breaks Hearts

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

FALKIRK produced the shock of the day in the Scottish Cup by trouncing Premier League Heart of Midlothian 4-0 at Brockville.

Trinidadian striker Colin Samuel, who heads off for a trial at Everton next week, was the hero as he netted a first-half hat-trick to kill off the Jambos.

Samuel struck after three, seventeen and thirty-one minutes, while veteran Owen Coyle (pictured) also got in on the act after thirteen minutes to condemn Craig Levein's men to a thumping defeat.

Celtic eventually cruised through to the Fourth Round draw, although they were made to work by a stubborn St Mirren side.

The First Division outfit frustrated the champions and made it to the interval on level terms, but two second half goals from Henrik Larsson on 47 and 57 minutes killed off their challenge.

Momo Sylla got a third for Celtic twenty minutes from time to give the scoreline a more accurate reflection of the hosts dominance.

Hibernian claimed a dramatic victory in the all Premier League tie against Dundee United at Tannadice.

A Grant Brebner hat-trick put the Terrors to the sword after they had come from two goals down.

A Stephen O'Donnell strike and a late Jim Hamilton penalty seemed to have earned the hosts a replay, but Brebner completed his treble with a dramatic header to seal victory.

Motherwell claimed a hard-fought 1-0 win at Kilmarnock with James McFadden netting the all-important goal from the penalty-spot after 35 minutes.

Livingston and Dunfermline will face each other again, after matters ended all-square at Almondvale.

Scottish international striker Stevie Crawford cancelled out Gary Bollan's first-half opener.

Dundee secured a comfortable away win at Partick Thistle, with goals in either half handing them a 2-0 victory.

Georgi Nemsadze and Gavin Rae were the Dundee men to get their names on the scoresheet.

First Division Queen of the South put up a brave display to frustrate Aberdeen, and will now travel Pittodrie for a replay after forcing a goalless draw.

Aidrie United made it through to the next round following a narrow 1-0 victory over First Division rivals St Johnstone.

David McGuire struck on the stroke of half-time to give the hosts an advantage they clung on to.

Morton pulled off a shock by beating First Division Ross County with two goals from Alex Williams.

Williams put the Third Division side ahead after 19 minutes, and struck again in the second-half to hand Morton victory after David Winters had equalised for County.

Clyde were forced to come from behind after being given a scare by Third Division Gretna.

Stephen Skinner put Gretna ahead with the quickest goal of the Third Round after just two minutes.

However, goals from Andy Millen, and top-scorer Leigh Hinds secured Clyde's passage.

Ayr United claimed a solid 2-0 victory over Peterhead, with Aaron Black and James Grady netting for the First Division outfit.

Meanwhile, Alloa clinched a dramatic 3-2 win over Cowdenbeath with Scott Crabbe grabbing a crucial brace.

Derek Riordan and Kevin Gordon scored for Cowdenbeath, but Jimmy Thomson added to Crabbe's pair to clinch victory for Alloa.

Inverness CT progressed at the expense of Raith Rovers, with Barry Robson and Dennis Wyness scoring in a 2-0 success.

Queens Park and Hamilton played out a 2-2 draw, with John Gemmill's pair for Queens cancelled out by a Martin Bonnar's early strike, and a last-gasp effort from Allan Russell.

Stranraer claimed a creditable away win at Forfar, with Paul Kerr and Alan Jenkins finding the net to hand the visitors victory after Kevin Byers had put Forfar ahead.

In the late match on Saturday, Rangers ended Scottish First Division strugglers Arbroath's dream of a cup upset with an easy 3-0 victory at Gayfield Park.

The Old Firm giants were always in control of what could have been a tricky tie, with captain Barry Ferguson in inspired form throughout.

He hit Arbroath's crossbar inside the first 90 seconds, before having another chance which forced goalkeeper Craig Hinchcliffe into a good save.

However, mid-way through the opening period, Ferguson put The Gers 1-0 up with a long-range shot that sneaked past Hinchcliffe after a clever Shota Arveladze dummy.

A few minutes later, a Fernando Ricksen corner found an unmarked Craig Moore in the penalty box and the Australian international looped his header home to make it 2-0.

The second half continued to see the visitors pushing forward but missed chances and some fine saves by Hinchcliffe kept the scoreline down for Arbroath.

However, Alex McLeish's side would not be denied as Arveladze made it 3-0 on the hour mark, with a fine turn and shot at the top of Arbroath's box after a fine through-ball from Arthur Numan.

John Brownlie's side were rarely able to threaten their SPL opponents, with Arbroath's Ross Currie going closest to scoring with a long-range shot that skimmed the top of the bar.

The result was simple enough for Rangers, but McLeish will be left concerned after Ricksen and Lorenzo Amoruso were both injured after they collided with each other in the second half.

Ricksen received four stitches in a head wound, while Amoruso was taken to hospital in Dundee after the clash of heads.   

Whilst Rangers have taken another step in retaining the cup this season, Arbroath return to their relegation dogfight at the foot of the Scottish First Division.          

Click below for match summaries:
Airdrie Utd 1-0 St Johnstone
Arbroath 0-3 Rangers
Ayr 2-0 Peterhead
Celtic 3-0 St Mirren
Cowdenbeath 2-3 Alloa
Dundee Utd 2-3 Hibernian
Falkirk 4-0 Hearts
Forfar 1-2 Stranraer
Gretna 1-2 Clyde
Inverness 2-0 Raith
Kilmarnock 0-1 Motherwell
Livingston 1-1 Dunfermline
Partick 0-2 Dundee
Queen of South 0-0 Aberdeen
Queens Park 2-2 Hamilton
Ross County 1-2 Morton