SPFL: Celtic have urged their fans to be on their best behaviour at McDiarmid Park

Celtic fans urged to follow team in correct manner at McDiarmid Park

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Celtic have called on fans to do their bit at McDiarmid Park on Thursday after persuading the police to reverse a ban on flags and banners.

The Scottish champions take to the road for the first time on league duty since troubled marred their 5-0 victory over Motherwell on December 6.

That night saw 18 smoke bombs, fireworks and a flare set off along with damage to almost 200 seats in the away end of Fir Park.

A ban on banners and flags was introduced as it was believed these were being used to hide the pyrotechnics from security staff at the turnstiles.

However, these restrictions have since been lifted and Celtic have sent a clear message for their fans to be on their best behaviour.

In a statement, the club said: "Football is about colour and atmosphere and creating a positive occasion for all and everything should be done to ensure that such an event can take place.

"However, we should also bear in mind that supporter safety is of paramount importance and we would re-iterate, therefore, that we do not welcome any form of pyrotechnics or smoke bombs at our matches.

Lennon: Too early for title talk

"We want to see our matches played in a positive and safe atmosphere and we hope this will be the case on Boxing Day."

Earlier in the day, Celtic boss Neil Lennon had reiterated his plea for the travelling fans to keep the fireworks away from all games.

"One thing we want is the colour and atmosphere," he said. "What we don't want is the pyrotechnics, flares.

"It doesn't add anything to the game and it can affect people on and off the field."