Vale stay at summit

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

PORT VALE retained their grasp on the Division Two top spot despite a defeat at Luton Town as nearest pursuers Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley failed to take advantage of their loss.

Brian Horton's men travelled to Kenilworth Road seeking to build on their bright start to the season but they returned to The Potteries with their tails between their legs.

On loan striker Gary McSheffrey (pictured) fired Luton ahead on 31 minutes and teenage defender Kevin Foley capped the win with the second goal on 71 minutes.

Barnsley's 1-1 draw at home to cash-strapped rivals Oldham Athletic enabled the South Yorkshire outfit to move to within a point of the summit.

Chris Lumsdon put the hosts in front just past the hour mark but four minutes later Scott Vernon earned The Latics a share of the spoils.

Sheffield Wednesday fluffed the chance to go top when Wade Elliott's last minute winner condemned The Owls to defeat at Bournemouth.

Hartlepool United, Queens Park Rangers and Swindon Town all moved to within a point of Port Vale after picking up victories on their travels.

Eifion Williams nudged Hartlepool ahead after eight minutes at Stockport County but Aaron Wilbraham levelled matters before half-time, only for veteran striker Marco Gabbiadini to snatch the points.

QPR produced a gritty performance to collect a 2-0 success at Wrexham despite finishing the contest with ten men.

Marcus Bean put the visitors ahead on seven minutes but Kevin McLeod was dismissed for his second bookable offence on 72 minutes. With the match petering out, Martin Rowlands popped up in the last minute to secure the points.

Swindon were forced to come from behind at Blundell Park to ensure they returned to Wiltshire with all three points at the expense of Grimsby Town.

Michael Boulding gave the hosts the advantage on 23 minutes but a second half fightback from The Robins, courtesy of goals from Andy Gurney and Tommy Mooney, turned the match on its head.

Plymouth Argyle were involved in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Peterborough United as the pendulum swung in both sides' favour.

The visitors were ahead on ten minutes through Paul Wotton's penalty but Peterborough surged in front through Mark Arber's spot kick and Andy Clarke before Tony Capaldi rescued a point for Plymouth with six minutes remaining.

Brighton & Hove Albion are on the heels of the leaders after Leon Knight's 33rd minute goal proved sufficient to beat bottom club Chesterfield, who are the only team in the division without a win.

A stormy encounter at Ashton Gate gave Bristol City a win over Tranmere Rovers but both teams finished the match a man down.

Aaron Brown put The Robins ahead on 23 minutes before highly-rated defender Danny Coles was sent off on 55 minutes for a professional foul.

He was followed down the tunnel five minutes later by Tranmere stopper Graham Allen for two yellow cards before Lee Peacock settled the match on 76 minutes.

Rushden & Diamonds continued to prove they can cope with the rigours of Division Two football after brushing aside Notts County despite falling behind to Mark Stallard's 27th minute strike.

Onandi Lowe quickly brought the visitors level and second half efforts from Stuart Gray and Duane Darby sealed the success.

There was a heated conclusion at Adams Park as Wycombe slipped to another defeat, this time at the hands of Colchester.

A quick-fire double from Wayne Andrews and Rowan Vine put Colchester in command but Darren Currie's penalty early in the second half handed Wycombe a lifeline.

U's defender Andy Myers was then sent off for a second bookable offence but The Chairboys ruined their chance of a late comeback when both Stuart Roberts and Roger Johnson were dismissed in the last minute.

Brentford and Blackpool shared the spoils after a 0-0 draw at Griffin Park.

Click below for an individual match summary:
Barnsley 1-1 Oldham Athletic
Bournemouth 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Brentford 0-0 Blackpool
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Chesterfield
Bristol City 2-0 Tranmere Rovers
Grimsby Town 1-2 Swindon Town
Luton Town 2-0 Port Vale
Notts County 1-3 Rushden & Diamonds
Peterborough United 2-2 Plymouth Argyle
Stockport County 1-2 Hartlepool United
Wrexham 0-2 Queens Park Rangers
Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Colchester United