Evans thwarted in striker hunt
Last Updated: July 9, 2012 12:33pm
Rotherham manager Steve Evans has abandoned plans to sign an unnamed striker for a six-figure fee.
This, after the Millers boss was told to pay £250,000 for his latest transfer target.
Evans has also revealed he will no longer be pursuing his interest in Bournemouth forward Matt Tubbs.
When asked of his interest in Tubbs, Evans told the club's official website: "Earlier last week that was certainly true, but AFC Bournemouth have now made it very clear that Tubbsy is not for sale and is a concrete part of their plans.
"That for now is the matter closed and I wish the lad every success in the season ahead. I've said many times he's a quality striker and I have a lot of time for him on and off-the-pitch, but we now move on."
Evans added: "I had a long meeting with the chairman and it involved a number of points, one of these was talking about the players I wish to add to the squad.
"As always he was fully supportive and transfer funds are available to me, but I will only spend the money wisely. The striker I had in mind was valued by his club at £250,000. We will not be doing any business for that lad at that kind of price."