Bees eye O'Flynn deal
Hendon hoping to keep striker
By Chris Galea. Last Updated: February 4, 2010 10:04pm
O'Flynn: Offered new deal
Barnet are hoping they can persuade striker John O'Flynn to stay at the club, with his contract set to run out in the summer.
The Bees accepted an offer from Shrewsbury prior to the transfer deadline but the 27-year-old decided to stay at Underhill.
Manager Ian Hendon is now desperate to secure the Irishman's services on a long-term basis.
"The lad has been offered a new deal before and the offer still stands," Hendon told skysports.com.
"It is a good deal on the table and the lad is a very good player, who we don't want to lose.
"He turned down the opportunity to go to Shrewsbury and that is his prerogative. We now move on with him instead of without him."
O'Flynn has scored 28 goals for Barnet since joining from Cork City in September 2008 and Hendon can understand why he is stalling on a new deal.
"He was offered a new contract four or five months ago and declined it after considering it for a while, but a lot of players do this when they are in the last year of their contract," he said.
"It is nothing unusual and most players want to know what opportunities are out there for them.
"The lad wants to play at a high level, which is why he didn't go to Shrewsbury, because he wants to play in the league above or even the league above that.
"Technically, I am sure John can do that and if he gets his move at the end of the season then he will have done the right thing.
"However, we would still like to keep him at the club and will do our best to make that happen."