Former Tranmere Rovers boss Ronnie Moore has spoken of his embarrassment after receiving a suspended one-month ban from football for breaching betting regulations.
Moore was also fined £2,000 at a personal hearing at Wembley on Thursday morning following his sacking by Rovers last month.
While Moore admitted responsibility for his actions, he claimed he did not know the rules and questioned whether he deserved to be sacked for the offence.
"I'm embarrassed because as a manager of Tranmere Rovers Football Club, I should have known," he admitted.
"So I hold my hands up, there is no doubt about that. I should have known and I didn't know but is that worth losing my job over?
"It's actually cost me my job and it's cost me £130,000 - and then I get fined here as well."
The 61-year-old was replaced by assistant John McMahon on February 17 after being suspended by Rovers once the FA began an investigation and he was then sacked on April 9.
Moore said the last three months have been very tough on him and his family.
"If you're the manager of a football club, you should know what is going on," he said. "But it was an honest mistake. Has nobody out there ever made a mistake?
"I have made a mistake that has proved so crucial to my family.
"The last three months have been hell. I have been abused and accused of this, that and the other and that is wrong.
"It was a genuinely honest mistake made by myself and I am embarrassed about it."