Arsenal and Wigan win in the Premier League as Stoke and Reading draw

Jack Wilshere returned from nearly 18 months out in Arsenal's 1-0 win over Queens Park Rangers

Ivan Ramis is congratulated after putting Wigan in front against West Ham

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Jack Wilshere produced an impressive return on his Arsenal comeback as Wigan Athletic picked up a first home win of the Premier League season.

Aston Villa were held at home by manager Paul Lambert's former club Norwich City as Stoke City and Sunderland played out a largely forgettable 0-0 draw.

However, there were goals galore at the Madejski Stadium as Reading and Fulham played out a six-goal thriller before Manchester City edged out Swansea City in the evening kick-off.

Mikel Arteta scrambled home a late winner as Arsenal produced a ragged performance to beat 10-man Queens Park Rangers 1-0 at the Emirates Stadium as Wilshere marked his return from a long-term injury.

Wilshere was the stand-out performer on his first appearance for Arsenal in nearly 18 months before he was replaced to a standing ovation midway through the second half.

Prior to his departure, Junior Hoilett had a goal rightly ruled out for offside for QPR, while Santi Cazorla smashed over Arsenal's best chance with a quarter of an hour to play.

Arsenal were given a helping hand with 10 minutes to go when Stephane Mbia was sent off for stupidly kicking out at Thomas Vermaelen.

And the Gunners took full advantage six minutes from time when Arteta poked home after his header had come back off the crossbar following Julio Cesar's superb save from Olivier Giroud.

Manchester City made it four Premier League wins in a row after Carlos Tevez's goal secured a 1-0 home triumph over Swansea City.

The champions produced a lacklustre display at the Etihad Stadium and were indebted to Tevez's powerful strike just past the hour which flew into the bottom corner.

There were 12 minutes of injury-time at the end of the game after Swansea keeper Michel Vorm and City defender Micah Richards were stretchered off, and there was relief all round when the final whistle eventually went.

Lambert was denied victory against his former club as 10-man Aston Villa were pegged back by Norwich in a 1-1 draw in the Midlands.

Villa took the lead against the run of play on 27 minutes when Christian Benteke, selected ahead of Darren Bent, controlled Joe Bennett's cross and gently curled beyond a stranded John Ruddy.

However, Norwich were given a route back into the game on 52 minutes when Joe Bennett was shown a second yellow card following a push on Elliott Bennett.

The Canaries took advantage of their numerical superiority to equalise with 11 minutes left when Michael Turner's header from Wes Hoolahan's corner crept inside the post.

Wigan claimed a first home win of the season after enjoying a 2-1 victory over West Ham United at the DW Stadium.

Wigan took the lead on eight minutes when Ivan Ramis, who scored his first goal for the Latics when the two sides met in the Capital One Cup last month, struck a brilliant first-time volley past Jussi Jaaskelainen from Jean Beausejour's corner.

Roberto Martinez's men took further control of the game two minutes after half-time when the ball was laid back to James McArthur to ram a volley beyond Jaaskelainen from the edge of the area.

James Tomkins headed home a late consolation for West Ham, but there was no time for an equaliser and it could even have been Wigan who scored again as Arouna Kone was denied by Jaaskelainen.

Reading twice came from behind in the final five minutes to draw 3-3 at home with Fulham, but Brian McDermott's side are still waiting for a first win since returning to the Premier League.

Reading went in front in stunning fashion on 26 minutes when Jobi McAnuff rolled the ball into the path of Mikele Leigertwood to drive an excellent effort into the top corner.

Fulham's equaliser on 61 minutes was equally eye-catching as Bryan Ruiz, who had only been on the pitch a couple of minutes, exchanged passes with Damien Duff before swerving a left-footed shot beyond Alex McCarthy.

Ruiz then supplied the opening which saw Fulham take the lead on 77 minutes as the Costa Rican's corner was glanced in at the near post by Chris Baird.

But the Royals were level with five minutes to go when Garath McCleary scored his first goal for the club from six yards out after Jason Roberts had failed to control a low cross.

Yet parity was shortlived as Fulham regained the lead with two minutes to go when Dimitar Berbatov arrowed home into the far corner after a neat build-up.

The drama was ceaseless, however, as Reading equalised again in the last minute as substitute Hal Robson-Kanu bundled the ball home after Fulham had failed to deal with Nicky Shorey's free-kick.

Sunderland drew for the fourth time in five away games this season following a dull 0-0 draw with Stoke at the Britannia Stadium.

The only notable incident in the game came in the second half when Stoke defender Marc Wilson was stretchered off and taken to hospital with a suspected broken fibula.