Forest might let Scimeca go

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

NOTTINGHAM FOREST defender Riccardo Scimeca may have to find a new club next season should the City Ground club be unable to afford to give him a new contract.

Scimeca scored the winner on Saturday as Forest notched up their third win this season with a 1-0 victory at Coventry City to take the Division One outfit to a surprising sixth in the table.

The former Aston Villa man is in the last year of his contract and has not had talks with Forest over an extension.

Paul Hart's side are suffering money problems and may have to let four other first-team stars go in order to reduce the wage bill at the end of the season.

On the financial plight at the club, Scimeca said: "The situation is not ideal.

"There is a lot of uncertainty. The club have had trouble paying players on a weekly basis."

Forest are also fearing the loss of striker Jack Lester and the defensive trio of Canadian international Jim Brennan, Matthieu Luis-Jean and Jon Olav Hjelde come the end of the season, despite the encouraging start to the new campaign.

Meanwhile, former Forest goalkeeper Mark Crossley has tipped current City Ground number one Darren Ward to impress in The Premiership.

Both Crossley and Ward are with Mark Hughes's Wales squad who are preparing for the away match against Finland in their first European Championship qualifier.

Crossley sees Ward continuing up the league ladder and impressing at the highest level - either with Forest or another club.

He told the Evening Post: "He's fit, he's good with his feet and he has good hands.

"Age is on his side and there's no reason why he can't make that step up to the Premier League from what I have seen.

"I am sure Paul Hart wouldn't want to lose him because of the form he's in."

Finally, Forest are to release striker David Freeman after the young striker fell out-of-favour with the City Ground club.

However, manager Paul Hart has vowed to help Freeman find a new after the 21-year-old Irishman regained his fitness following an injury.

Freeman will stay at Forest until the end of September, which by that time Hart will hope to have secured a move for the young hit-man.

Hart told the Forest official website: "David is a smashing lad who has been very unlucky with injuries.

"He's now fully fit and looking to secure a move to a new club and we will do everything we can to help him get fixed up elsewhere."