Trophy Northern round-up

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Hartlepool United and Accrington Stanley both knocked out higher league opposition to advance to the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Pools beat nine-man Rotherham 3-1, while Stanley came out on top in a penalty shoot-out after their game with Carlisle had ended 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Danny Wilson's (pictured) Hartlepool were ahead after just 12 minutes through Lee Bullock, but Delroy Facey equalised for the League One outfit (28).

David Foley's goal just before half time restored the lead and Richie Humphreys sealed the victory on 63 minutes after Martin Woods had been dismissed just after the restart.

Ian Sharps was also shown a red card for Rotherham late into stoppage time for deliberate handball.

Accrington came from behind to defeat Carlisle as Derek Holmes' opener (41) and a Chris Lumsden own goal (53) set up a penalty shoot-out.

John Coleman's men kept their nerve from 12 yards to send the hosts through 3-1 on penalties.

Tranmere Rovers were the only League One side to see off lower league opposition as goals from Chris Shuker (22) and Stephen Jennings (87) ensured a comfortable passage against Bury.

Doncaster Rovers and Scunthorpe United both claimed 2-1 away victories at Huddersfield and Bradford City respectively.

Rovers found themselves ahead midway through the first half thanks to Jason Price's goal but Andy Booth had Huddersfield level just after the hour mark.

Lewis Guy's 87th minute strike sealed Sean O'Driscoll's side a place in the next round late on. 

A Robbie Foy goal (48) and James Goodwin's 72nd minute penalty - after Matthew Clarke had been sent off  for Bradford - was enough for Scunthorpe, although Joe Brown made for an interesting final few minutes by pulling one back late on.

Rochdale knocked Wrexham out 5-3 on penalties after Matthew Crowell (80) had cancelled out Chris Dagnall's 40th minute strike.

Grimsby also came out on top from 12 yards after their game with Lincoln had ended 0-0.

Michael Malcolm scored the only goal on 65 minutes as Stockport beat Macclesfield 1-0 at Moss Rose.

Accrington Stanley 1-1 Carlisle 
Accrington win 3-1 on pens
Bradford 1-2 Scunthorpe
Bury 0-2 Tranmere
Hartlepool 3-1 Rotherham
Huddersfield 1-2 Doncaster
Lincoln 0-0 Grimsby 
Grimsby win 5-3 on pens
Macclesfield 0-1 Stockport
Wrexham 1-1 Rochdale
Rochdale win 5-3 on pens